8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo ST-800 for sale, modified for 1200ft. (up to 1600ft.) capacity (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Elmo ST-800 for sale, modified for 1200ft. (up to 1600ft.) capacity
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 03, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen:

Q: What do you do when you have too many projectors and not enough money?
A: Exactly.

So, long story short, I'm offering my ST-800 for sale... the same one I ended up soldering a new power cord to. (It's permanently attached, but it's also pretty darn short so you'll almost certainly want to use an extension cord with it.)

Some photos here:
http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/st800_reels.jpg
http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/st800_open.jpg
http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/st800_backpanel.jpg
http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/st800_roller.jpg
http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/st800_cog.jpg
http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/st800_cog2.jpg

It's a single-track projector which has had some custom work done to it... mainly it has true 1200ft. capacity and can even be made to run 1600ft. reels by simply unscrewing and removing the upper loop guide (although it makes threading a bit trickier). The reel arms were replaced with arms from an ST-1200, and although the supply reel arm is longer, they still fold all the way down. Here's the kicker: Since the supply reel arm now has one extra cog which would normally cause the spindle to rotate in the wrong direction, I employed my mad-doctor skills to add another cog inside the machine (see pictures) so that reverse and rewind remains fully functional. [Smile]
The film guide below the take-up reel was somewhat crudely sawn off (not by me) so I carefully sanded off any rough edges and added a roller to prevent film scratching, which works perfectly (have viewed a number of films several times each, with no visible damage).

So, to recap, the differences from a standard ST-800 are:
- 1200ft. capacity, up to 1600ft. by removing upper loop guide
- Take-up film guide re-done
- Power cord permanently soldered in place
- Drive modified to accommodate 1200ft. supply reel arm

Other than that, the machine appears to have had some heavy use before it came to me...its outside appearance is not so great, with scuffs, scratches and a bit of dust on the body, plus some holes drilled underneath the take-up reel arm that (so I was told) once held a large 16mm film roller. [Confused] On the inside, everything looks OK though, and all the adjustments were checked by me and found to be good (claw movement, reel torque, smooth running of gears, 18fps/24fps speeds, etc).

My apologies for being long-winded but I wanted everyone to be well-informed about the modifications done to this machine. [Smile] It's become somewhat of a labor of love to me and I trust it completely with running my valuable shorts and features. But, it needs to go... Will happily ship worldwide and accept payments via PayPal or check (US only) or money order. Please make your offers through email or via a PM to me...

Ohyeah, the reels shown are not included, sorry [Wink]
Thanks!

EDIT, a few more things: Sound works great including recording, motor is strong - projector handles 1200ft. fine including rewinding a full reel, but 1600ft. is just about the limit of what it can handle (not tested). Lamp is good but I'll throw in an extra bulb if desired, plus I will add an 800ft. Elmo reel if buyer needs it. Sound heads were demagnetized, and the complete film path will be cleaned again before shipping.

The belts are used - drive belt in very good shape, take-up belt shows wear but works OK (it's not badly stretched so should last a while).

[ April 03, 2006, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Jan Bister ]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what price does the mad scientist put on his creation? And is there a guarantee that the buyer will not be awoken in the night by a pitchfork weilding mob lusting for its blood?

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 03, 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it double on sax?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 03, 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott:

No danger there, I promise. It's not like I put the Elmo on a bench with a giant electrode hanging over it and waited for lightning in the sky. [Big Grin]
And if you want me to throw out a price I'd like to see... how about $150? That's negotiable, of course.

Dan:

Huh? [Confused]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 04, 2006 05:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, Where are you getting these ST1200 spool arms from?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 04, 2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Jan, confess!!! Where is the corpse of that dead ST1200!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 04, 2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...well, remember I picked up this lot of four Elmo machines, mostly DOA/for parts only, though this one was already complete and working, just needed some TLC to whip it back into shape (and while it was already modded with a 1200ft arm, it was free-spinning and reverse/rewind had no effect on it).

A couple pictures of (almost) everything else I have, Elmo-wise:

-

-

(No, they shouldn't be this yellowish... my webcam is great but its white balance sucks sometimes.) As you can see, there's one other ST-800 and two 1200s that are definitely DEAD, with huge chunks of stuff missing on both machines.

As for that second ST-800, though.... holy cricket! I just realized it has almost everything still there, including OPTICAL SOUND, and I could probably get it running again too!!!!!

I guess I should THANK YOU GUYS for getting me to realize that!!!! [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord! It's an Elmo morgue . . .

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 04, 2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should say that - when I saved these pictures to my harddrive, I named them elmo_graveyard1.jpg and elmo_graveyard2.jpg ..... And yes, it's kind of a sad sight (though that poisonous-green early "Honeywell Elmo ST1200" really is ugly, it just is...)!

P.S. I spoke too soon regarding the other ST-800; none of these projectors has the lens/film gate assembly. Ack.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 05, 2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
We know where to come for some spares [Big Grin]

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 05, 2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got that right! Seriously, if anybody needs spare parts and I have them, they can have them for free.... just cover shipping and whatever you need is yours.... [Smile]

And, oh yeah... does anybody want the ST-800? If not then it's going on eBay this weekend...

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 07, 2006 12:17 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, do you have a rear film guide for an ST-1200? I have an ST-1200 that is missing the top half of the rear film guide. I can't safetly rewind a 1200 foot reel without it. [Smile]

I have a small Elmo grave yard, but it's only the size of a family plot. [Big Grin] Yours looks more like Forest Lawn!

P.S. In the old days when you hired a musician you would asked "do you double on sax". Sort of a two for one price deal. [Big Grin] That's okay, my kids don't understand me either. [Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 07, 2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rear film guide... the one for the supply reel or the one for the take-up reel that you can flip out of the way for 1200ft reels? Please clarify - I lost you when you said you couldn't safely rewind film without it. I don't see how that is a problem. [Confused] [Cool]

P.S.: I guess the ST-800 will go on eBay this weekend [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 07, 2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one for the take-up reel that you can flip out of the way.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 07, 2006 03:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ach! That's one of the few things I don't have.

But I do have the roller that screws into the hole right above where the film comes out. IMHO it's all you need anyway, as the only thing the film guide really does is allow auto-threading with 800ft. reels, whereas you'll have to attach the film to the reel yourself if the guide is missing (which I don't mind doing).
 -

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 07, 2006 04:40 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, my roller is missing. I also don't mind manually attaching the film to the take-up reel. [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 07, 2006 11:53 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now that my for-sale thread is completely derailed (as in off-topic), I might just as well ship the darn thing to ya. You know the deal... PM me your address and wait a few days. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 08, 2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan, I sent you a PM in the PM.

Oh!, by the way, do you happen to have an ST-800 for sale? [Big Grin]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 09, 2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's missing the lens/gate assembly and the motor is dead, y'want it? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 15, 2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan I received the rear roller. Just what I was looking for. I owe you one. Thanks, Buddy. [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 15, 2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nahh, you don't owe me - you sent me back the Goldberg 1600ft. reel for free, remember? [Smile] Glad the roller made it in one piece, always happy to help out a forum member in need! [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 16, 2006 01:30 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(ahem)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmo-ST-800-movie-projector-modified-for-1200ft-reels_W0QQitemZ7610618217QQcategoryZ15255QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 22, 2006 11:23 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 2 hours left to go.... I will ship worldwide, contrary to what the listing says. I just don't think many people outside the US can use a 110V/60Hz fixed unit [Wink]

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Jan, i'm a little [Confused] confused as to what ST800 parts you have left, but I really need a new rewind clutch assembly for my ST800. It's simply removed with two screws holding it into place. If you have one, i'll gladly pay you a fair price plus postage. thanks....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 23, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rewind clutch assembly.... can you be more specific as to what exactly you need?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC