8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Introduction, and a sale/auction (GS-1200) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Introduction, and a sale/auction (GS-1200)
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 11, 2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our eBay-selling friend ought to ask the buyer, plain and simple. And if he isn't a forum member, let's invite him 'ere. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 01:31 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, my GS was made in 1985, what series would this be, cheers, Del.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a Ver 3 for that date. It should have lines on the vol and tone controls and a metal roller to the input slot where you first insert the film. Also the lower loop will go back toward the lamphouse and not forwards under the lens assay.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2006 06:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may have been touched upon before (I can't remember), but: why did Elmo change the lower loop to go back toward the lens assembly instead of forward? What was the thinking behind that?

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 29, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the guys at Elmo Germany telling me that it made the loop more stable. The other thing that tended to happen was that it was sometimes more of a problem for the loop to be formed properly when using the machine in Optical sound mode. Clicking on loud passages of sound was also more noticeable with the forward loop but has been much less of a problem with the back loop.

One of the bigest problems for the GS and ST1200 a like was the fact that cement splices come apart at this point due to the very severe bend the film goes through.

The ST160,180 & 600 machines were using this back loop layout and were not having these type of problems so it was eventually adopted on the GS.

I suppose from Elmo's point of view it had advantages on the cost front too as a lot of the parts in the film path area etc were now the same as the 600.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 29, 2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. [Smile]

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Kev, mine has all those [Big Grin]

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2006 06:40 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

That was a beauty, wish I were the lucky buyer.

Question for someone. I don't have an Elmo remote for my GS1200, what am I missing? I do tire of having to reach back over the top of the couch to hit stop, rewind etc.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 11:52 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was interested to see that these new machines came with remotes. I know that one of the 'compartments' in the top layer of polystyrene is the perfect size for the remote, but presumably a new machine would ony come supplied with the remote if the buyer it at the same time?

I'm also curious about the small pouch that some GSs have for accessories, as I don't think all new machines sold in the UK had these? I'd like to make up a complete set of such items, so if anyone has has one of the pouches - and/or the test film in the original box - that they are willing to sell, please let me know.

[ May 30, 2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 03:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right the pouch is for the storage of the microphone. Could never understand why at the price of the GS Elmo didnt give a stereo mic or 2 of the mono ones.

I think I might have a spare pouch. I have a couple of the Elmo test films but want to hang onto those. Mine are also starting to fade a bit now.

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC