8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Wanted: Super 8 projector for sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Super 8 projector for sound
John Pechulis
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2006 05:47 PM      Profile for John Pechulis   Email John Pechulis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I currently capture film images using a moviestuff Video WorkPrinter XP and need a recommendation on a projector for capturing sound.

Any recommendations?

--------------------
History frozen in the frames of film

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow -- you spent $1395 on the Workprinter? Does it have variable shutter speed to handle 24 frames per second? I suggest you use any sound projector (24FPS) and capture the picture and sound independently. I transferred my sound films on a Sony Digital 8 camera by running the movie twice: once for the picture and once for the sound. My particular model has a shutter control which fights off the "flicker" but sounds like hell when trying to record the audio at the same time "live" through the microphone input.

To solve this, I reran the film, recording the sound in the camera's VCR mode and then synched the two tracks together in the computer's video editing program. The result was an amazingly clean and quiet transfer.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 14, 2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt,

the Workprinter-XP doesn't capture in real-time, it performs a frame-by-frame transfer (no flicker whatsoever) at a maximum 6fps. according to the website. [Smile]

Now as for capturing sound from films - assuming that single-track capacity is sufficient (no need to capture twin-track or stereo sound), I think an Eumig 800-series projector should fit the bill, particularly thanks to its HQS (High Quality Sound) design. A model 802 or 810 would be just about perfect, they come up regularly on eBay and aren't terribly expensive. Of course, alternatively there's always the smaller Elmo models such as the ST-180E or ST-600. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Pechulis
Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2006 02:53 AM      Profile for John Pechulis   Email John Pechulis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll look into those.

--------------------

Carlos Plaza
Junior

- posted July 20, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Carlos Plaza   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Plaza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have been using a WorkPrinter for about 2 years and can offer you some tips, if you are still interested. Since the explanation of how I get near-perfect lip-synch is rather drawn out, if you send me an email, I will describe how I do it when I transfer films for my customers.

John Pechulis
Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2006 05:11 PM      Profile for John Pechulis   Email John Pechulis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in any other tips you can provide as I am still relatively new to the workprinter.

Thanks again,

John

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC