8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WTB Sleeve For Schneider to Elmo lens conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB Sleeve For Schneider to Elmo lens conversion
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully someone may have one of these they have bought and decided not to use - I'm looking for a sleeve to convert a smooth barrel Schneider Xenovaron 1.1 lens to enable it to fit my Elmo GS1200. Yes I know Classic sell them new but in all honesty I thought I'd try here first to maybe get a deal from someone who no longer wants theirs - a long shot maybe but there's no harm in asking!
Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried for months to get a lense sleeve off of CHC, in the end I dismantled and reamed out a plastic Elmo 1.3 lense that I got for a fiver off Ebay. Probably doesn't look as neat as the proper CHC sleeves, but untill these elusive sleeves become available it does the job.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mark
You've already achieved a solution I had considered then - I have two of the original standard issue F1.3 lenses I can play with (one from a K100SM and one from a GP) so will give it a try now - did you use any special tools to make the inside of the Elmo barrel diameter the correct size, and is your Schneider loosely fitted in the modified Elmo barrel or held in with (presumably removable) adhesive? Any guidance to enable me to use one of my old F1.3s for this purpose would be very useful please.
Kevin

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, I just unscrewed the lense, took a bit of force but it unscrews in two halves. It's a simple process to remove the glass. Then I took off the metal ring that is at the back of the lense held on with the 3 screws, it has the small lenses in it.
Now your left with the stripped down tube that will be the holder.
I reamed out the plastic by wrapping emery cloth or sandpaper around somthing of a suitable size ( I wrapped it around a cheap hole saw set I had} and worked it by hand untill the schnieder lense fitted in nice and tight.
The hole in the centre of the metal ring needed enlarging for my schnieder lense so I drilled it out { doesn't need to be too accurate}, then glued the metal ring back in place with Araldite superglue { the stuff in the two syringe like tubes} as there is not quite enough plastic left for the screw to locate.
Just needs patience so you don't crack the plastic when you are reaming it out as it is quite soft.
Good luck

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2007 02:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for your instructions Mark - now I know the conversion is possible I am now looking forward to modifying one of my lenses during the weekend.
Kevin

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2007 06:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've now successfully modified an old Elmo F1.3 lens (the plastic type found in K100SM & ST600 models etc) and fitted it to my 28mm smooth barrel Schneider 1.1 lens and it works perfectly. The older GP model F1.3 lenses are not suitable as they have metal barrels, but the plastic F1.3 came to pieces easily and, slowly and carefully, I enlarged the inner diameter to enable a tight and properly aligned fit of the Schneider lens with no need for grub screws or similar to hold it in place. A picture of the finished job is shown below - making this lens sleeve was almost cost free and was very satisfying to achieve the desired end result too.
Kevin
 -

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 22, 2007 10:25 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Great job Kev (and cool idea, Mark).
You know what, I have the original sleeve from CHC and I'm honestly not sure it is better than what you guys came up with. For one thing, you need to create your own pin to go with the GS's focusing system.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 22, 2007 06:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a brilliant job. Well done Mark and Kevin....superb [Smile] Kevin, I bet you really notice a real improvement with that Schneider lens. Dont forget to adjust the small screw under the lens holder for optimum flat focus.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the rear lens element swapped
out also?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jean-Marc & Kev for your kind comments - having used the lens in two Elmo machines over the last couple of evenings it is apparent just what a perfect match it is for Elmo kit. Picture quality is simply oustanding in every way - I ran some comparisons between an Elmo F1.3 and F1.1 lens and the Schneider and it really made a 'night & day' level of difference.
Michael - there are no optical lens parts of the original Elmo lens left at all after coversion, just the outer barrel with the original pin - the biggest challenge for me was drilling out the original rear lens mount plate held on by three screws - thankfully it is soft-ish allminium which did eventually give way to my less than sharp drill bits! A second picture is shown below so you can see all that remains of the orignal Elmo lens on the left.
Kevin
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC