8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo ST-1200 HD wanted!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-1200 HD wanted!
Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2009 08:04 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Im looking to buy Elmo ST1200 HD in mint condition with 220 volt, can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2009 10:15 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hamid
I have one in Australia thats available for purchase.
It can't really be described as mint. I never like to describe stuff as mint.
Its only very good to excellent.

If interested, Email me direct to discuss.
dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au

dogtor

[Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hamid,

Welcome to the forum.

Why do you want a mint projector?
If it's for projecting films instead of for display, you could do with a very good machine too.
There were 2 models, 1 with magnetic and optical sound and 1 with only magnetic sound.

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Thank you Frank, and thank you Hans.

I prefer mint to give me life free trouble. Im collecting new films on super 8 and im planning to own it forever. So i prefer mint unit.

thank you all.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 30, 2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid welcome to this forum.

Since I found he other thread you posted that you are looking for new prints fo Star Wars series, so I relate this info with your topic here, then I would say (if money is not a matter), go for GS1200 instead of ST1200.

GS 1200 will create a better result (sound and picture), while you can also use a Pedro box to sync with DVD in order to get a 5.1 DTS sound.

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2009 10:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are at least three st1200 Hd's on U.S. Ebay right now..one is the mag./optical model, too. One has been refurbished with new belts and has been totally tested.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2009 02:45 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I never had a GS-1200, this must be a great projector indeed.
But perhaps not the best projector for someone who just starts collecting and probably doesn't have much knowledge about projectors.
I think Hamid made a very good choice when he decided to look for an Elmo ST-1200 HD.

Hamid definitely needs a stereo projector, but perhaps 240m (800ft) will do.
In that case there are many more great projectors:
-Bauer T-610 (my favorite, very quiet and very reliable)
-Visacustic 2000
-Sankyo 800
-Eumig S940

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hans,

You are correct; Star Wars will be my most demand film, also Tron, Star Trek, Raiders and some other. Sadly no reply yet for Star Wars in that forum:(

I thought about GS1200, but from what I heard it has some problem issue and need some repair knowledge otherwise I will go for it.

Pedro box? Hmm! I never use it but if the source DVD or digital medium then it’s not my choice! Because the sound is very thin which make the spaceships sound small not big:( I was exciting in beginning about DTS and 5.1 channels but not anymore! Right now im confident analog is better than all these compressed files, that’s why im returning back to old super 8 and 16mm [Smile] ... also Vinyl too [Smile]

Thanks Gary for the information, yes I sew them before, they still in excellent condition only.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2009 04:36 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hamid,

If you can afford it, you perhaps better look for a 16mm projector (Xenon of course) and 16mm films.
Although the portable 16mm projectors have no stereo sound like the better super-8 projectors have.

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Hans,

I have B&H 2585 16mm projector and I thought its better for me to have two high-end projectors to serve my need at any time. Also the 2585 are bit noisy!

I have no idea about Xenon, but to my best knowledge 16mm movies all comes in mono optical sound, which also have limitation.

[ September 15, 2009, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Hamid Moqadam ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 03, 2009 07:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid,

I like your taste.

I am into vinyl too.

I understand about the analog sound quality vs digital and this has been a long debate in audiophile forum. And as yourself, I will choose analog too. (I have thoudands vinyls)

But what can analog do with that tiny magnetic stripe on 8mm.... unfortunately is none..!

Certainly you get analog sound through magnetic stripe, but beside the low bandwith it is also MONO. You can have a stereo sound on 8mm but the left channel will be placed on even tinier space than the right channel, what we called balanced stripe.

If you amplified the stereo 8mm film into hi-end amplifier then you will notice the imbalance sound between L & R channel.

It is better to have a stereo digital than mono analog in whatsoever situation, especially when we are watching a movie where sound effect (eg. gun shoot from left speaker to right) will enhance our enjoyment.

Please note that the magnetic stripe on 8mm is just the same material with magnetic cassette tape we used in 1980s. The cassette tape is divided into 4 channel (L&R on two side) and the 4 channel is still bigger than the space of one track of 8mm. Yet, we are not satisfied with Cassette tape. So again what magnetic stripe on 8mm can do?

So, you need to go to digital sound while still preserve an excellent picture from 8mm.

Or one last resort, you take the audio from LaserDisc (LD) instead of DVD. Please note that the LD has BETTER sound than DVD. This is due to the uncompressed sound format compared to DVD's

That is my understanding.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just cruised Ebay for the st1200hd. I found only one that has optical, and it's a very old model, perhaps the first generation HD.

Observe, the lamphouse (missing) cover. And that it is the old one that is clip secure not screw. In addition look at the sound drum. The older models it is small brass where the screw goes in. On the newer units, the brass was bigger diameter all the way through.

Because this is an older model, it is over priced. I have both models and generations. I paid under $500.00 for each one.

Which ius not to say this is not a great machine. It probably runs well based on the work done to it. But I question this item and the seller. I'd ask questions if I wanted it bad enough.

CG

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2009 05:04 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Chip for helpful information, I will look for the details you mentioned. You are correct, most of these units sells as is from old storage, and they have just basic test where you cannot tell how good is. So I think having more details from sellers is important.

Thanks Winbert for great information. Glad I met someone who loves vinyl and analog like me [Smile] I use to have many vinyls and tape cassettes in 70s (we use to be very happy with the sound) but sadly I through them away in favor for digital CD. Now I realized I make biggest mistake and start to collect them again.

Hmm, I can see where super 8 sound goes! You are right about LD sound better than DVD. The problem is all digital forms have issue! like: brightness, up forward or speed up, lack warmth, sterile or artificial, the truth they apply to both picture and sound. LD becomes better only with THX! when both sound and picture become warm like analog.

I was surprised recently when I learned VHS sound is better than any digital? I did make small test recently, I record from tuner and vinyl to VHS because I want to find out if analog is better, I found there is no sound degradation I can hear and no sterile or artifacts at all, also the highs and lows are perfect and the sound itself so wonderful, the interconnects which I use in this test is old Audio Quest Topaz 2 purchased from 1996, so wasn’t high end quality like reference Transparent for example!!!

Sadly, we have that miracle unit in the past but we forget it because of digital [Frown] We also lost our recording ability too [Mad]

[ September 07, 2009, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Hamid Moqadam ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 04, 2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid,

VHS tape is just equal to 1 inch reel to reel tape. And CD (in 1990s) take the master from 1 inch reel to reel tape.

So you understand why VHS has better sound than CD.

In my country (Indonesia) in 1980s when the recording companies couldn't locate reel to reel tape as a master tape, they just use VHS tape those were marketed anywhere [Wink]

But again about analog sound in 8mm, they are just mono... while we are watching a movie which sound effects do something. I supposed we don't have any option than use LD/DVD sound source.

Remember, when you use LD/DVD you only work with their sound, not the picture. We use 8mm as the picture source.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope the new super 8 prints use only analog sound source not digital.

[ September 15, 2009, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Hamid Moqadam ]

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid,

In the General Yak section I just saw Lars Pettersson might sell his Elmo ST-1200 HD.

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 12:20 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hans,

I dont see where he put it for sale.

Cheers

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hamid, it is indeed a little hard to find.
You must go to the thread "Apology and help" in the General Yak section.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Lars Pettersson may indeed sell his Elmo ST-1200 HD [Wink]

e-mail me at

la55e dot p at telia dot com

Also need to "move" a lot of other stuff, lenses, spares, splicers, etc

Cheers
Lars

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Actually, in beginning I went to this thread, but I didn’t go to the last post. [Smile]

Many thanks.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 05:49 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Hamid.
The Elmo ST-1200 HD is an excellent projector.
Now you have the choise between the one from Frank Arnstein and Lars Pettersson.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2009 04:22 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi members

The only 1200 elmo I have right now is not an HD.

Its an ST 1200 MO.

[Cool]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Hamid Moqadam
Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2009 09:54 PM      Profile for Hamid Moqadam   Email Hamid Moqadam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I found one and purchase it. Many thanks to all for kind help.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC