8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Kodachrome 40 sound 11 films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodachrome 40 sound 11 films
Viktor Gibarti
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:10 AM      Profile for Viktor Gibarti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.de/Kodachrome-40-sound-films-very-rare_W0QQitemZ150409317072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilmnachbearbeitung?hash=item2305180ad0#ht_500wt_1182

|  IP: Logged

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 02:33 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Viktor,
If the Kodachrome 40 on eBay is yours, then you probably need to correct the entry. To the best of my knowledge, K40 sound magazines are exactly the same size as silent K40 magazines and therefore all super 8 cameras (sound or silent) will run them. The film playing through the camera or projector has the same dimensions whether sound or silent. The difference lies only in the ability of the camera/projector's ability to recognise and interpret the magnetic sound strip.
Regards
Sam

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

No, he is right; the sound cassettes are a different size than the silents, because of the accomodation of the soundhead in the camera. They won't fit a silent camera.
Silent cassettes will fit in a sound camera, being smaller, but not the other way around.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive an ignoramous's question but what is the 'rail effect'?

Viktor Gibarti
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 04:27 AM      Profile for Viktor Gibarti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

The sound cartridge is bigger than silenc!!!

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viktor,
I stand corrected. I have a fridge full of silent K40 that I'll be using on a project at Easter with a Nizo Pro camera (silent). I also have some old sound K40, some of which I've used with my Agfa moviexoom camera (sound). I was under the impression that there was no problem with compatability. I'm a bit embarassed by my slightly patronising tone. Serves me right.
Best regards
Sam

Adrian Chiroiu-Gozman
Junior

- posted February 18, 2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Chiroiu-Gozman   Email Adrian Chiroiu-Gozman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hy, I don't know if its a dumb question or not, but I have to ask, Besides films with sound kept in the refrigerator, or other old films with sound, is there any other posibility to film with sound? Or can it be done somehow to stick magnetic tape on the film? Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 18, 2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only silent films nowaday sold in the market.

So the only way you can do, is to take live sound using DAT or tape recorder (the better one is the one with synchronus capability).

After you recevied the films from the lab, you send them to EVT to be stripped with magnetic stripe.

Back to your home, you can add the sound taken from your tape recorder.

There are many ways to re-record your sound:

1. The most basic one is to wild record when synch sound is not needed, eg. soud of traffic, bird singing or etc

2. If synch is matter for your film then you have to match between the lip movement with the sound. You have to do trial and error many times. If you previously took the live-sound using synch recorder you can do more high tech recording which is not my capacity to explain.

Perhaps others can add here?

There are many way to

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 18, 2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,
Nice to see a Romanian member here from the beautiful city of Sibiu - I've shot a little Super 8 there myself!

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm afraid I'm virtually certain that the answer is no. Film can of course be striped after use, but that's no help when you want to record the sound at the time of filming. If anyone was willing to offer a reliable service with regard to striping unexposed stock, I suppose a solution might be found, but I don't think anyone is. I heard the reason Kodak became unwilling to offer pre-striped stock for Super 8 releases was that quality control factors meant that they were throwing away a substantial proportion of what they were producing.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Chiroiu-Gozman
Junior

- posted February 18, 2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Adrian Chiroiu-Gozman   Email Adrian Chiroiu-Gozman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hy again,

first of all what is EVT? is a company, a process? The sound that I record when filming can be both ways syncro or not, I can do it also with a mp3 recorder or whatever, the thing is the posibility to transfer the recording to be fixed on the film, not to have 2 devices running at once, and always to syncronize them.
@ Adrian My passion with 8mm playng filming and all started in London, on a flee market...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

quote:
what is EVT? is a company
Yes, it's one of the companies that adds sound-stripes to processed films. Address: see Super8Wiki

quote:
The sound that I record when filming...
You might want to read this article. It's still more a draft than a real article (and some passages sound more like "German English" and "British English" [Wink] ), but I didn't found the time to continue/update that article...

BTW: There's also a more general text in the FAQ...

Jörg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC