8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Bell & Howell Soundstar XJ super 8 projector lens.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell Soundstar XJ super 8 projector lens.
Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 04, 2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I"m searching for a Soundstar XJ lens assy. for my 11xj B & H projector and it seems that Soundstar XJ's are a rare breed or something. Does anyone know of a link where one may be available?
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2011 07:23 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Bell & Howell SoundStar XJ is not rare at all, lots of them floating around.

What do you mean by lens assembly? I have a few SoundStar XJs in my parts pile and I probably can dig up what you need.

If you can elaborate on the parts needed I can check and see what I can do.

Jon

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 04, 2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon for the reply. The entire lens assembly is easily removed from the projector. It is about three inches long, made of bakelite (I think) and is approximately 1 inch in diameter. The inscription on the front ring of it reads: Bell & Howell Zoom Lens, f/18 - 30mm 1: 1.5

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2011 01:57 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

Are you looking for the assembly with the lens included or just the assembly?

Jon

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2011 04:08 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be sticking my neck out, but it sounds to me that Sam is actually only looking for a LENS to FIT the Soundstar, preferably the type originally fitted. By "assembly" he means the lens barrel with all its internal components (i.e. the lens complete).
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 06, 2011 07:40 AM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Martin, that's exactly what I'm looking for Jon. (Thanks Martin - words sometimes fail me - but I'm 72 yrs into the use (or lack thereov) of it)
Jon, if you have one and I can afford it, I definitely want it. My Soundstar works perfectly but the lens is so cloudy, the pic is terrible. Thanks so much for replying and i"m looking forward to another reply!
Thanks

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

I have the part you need, send me your shipping address to: jaddams55 at hotmail.com and I will send it to you next week (today is Friday and I am going out of town for the Columbus Day holiday weekend).

There will be no charge.

Regards,

Jon

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 07, 2011 02:13 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, you are awesome!! Thank you so much! I was about to despair of ever finding one and now, look at you. God bless you and yours.
My mailing address is: Sam Sayger. 6959 Holly Springs Road, Hernando, MX, 38632

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 01:35 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

I just came back from a short trip, I'll post your package this afternoon. Enjoy

Jon

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 13, 2011 10:03 AM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jon, from the bottom of my heart!! I had about decided that I'd never get to use that projector and it works so very well - except for the lens - and now, here you are. Sure wish I could share some okra or some pears or whatever I might have with you.
Thanks
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 24, 2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jon:
We too, took a short trip down to Lake Charles, LA and I wound up in the hospital in Alexandria with my heart problems. Finally got home on Monday, this week and my son said that we had no package! We've had some difficulties out in this rural area with mail and I'm wondering if we have another, more serious problem. If there was a tracking number with the package, do you have that?
Thanks so much for all your trouble and if I owe you, please send me a notice and I will pay.
Thank
S Sayger
Hernando, MS

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2011 03:05 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

I am sorry to hear about your heart issues, let's hope you feel better soon.

I sent that lens on the day I said, recently I received a package from Philadelphia (87 miles away) 14 days after mailing, other times packages make it from coast-to-coast a just a few days.

Let's wait a couple of more days and if you still don't receive, let me know and I will send you another, I have several.

I am sorry, there was no tracking number although I'll make sure to have one if I have to send you another one.

There is no charge.

Regards,

Jon

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted October 24, 2011 03:39 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea Jon. I'm probably not able to do the job waiting for me just yet anyhow and a few days will not matter. The USPS can be unbelievably slow sometimes and that is probably what the problem is.
I am so blessed to have heard from you. May God bless you in far more important ways.
Thank you.
S Sayger
Hernando, MS

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted November 06, 2011 07:39 AM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jon. I've watched my mailbox for two more weeks now and it hasn't come - much to my disappointment - and I'm afraid it's lost?? I have no idea but it seems to me that the USPS is obligated to you in some way???
At any rate, I will be doubly obligated if you are able to send another and I will be delighted to pay you for it if you will allow me to do so??

Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

I will ship you another one in the morning (Monday) with tracking, like the first one I sent, there will be no charge.

Who knows, it still could show up - last years I received a package from my daughter who lives in Philadelphia (88 miles away) 28 days after shipping by Priority Mail!!!

I hope you are feeling better.

Regards,

Jon

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted November 06, 2011 01:42 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, if you will mail me your e address to sayger 2 @ gmail.c om . I want to send you something that I think you'll enjoy. I do a little woodwork and it's a tossup as to which I love most - woodwork or video!
Thank you so much my friend.
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted December 14, 2011 11:04 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jon:
Today, I rec'd the lens and I do so appreciate you for sending. I understand the delay completely and no problem!! I'm an old guy and I move slow and have lots of other stuff to do. Haven't used the lens yet but it is as "clean as a pin" so I know it's fine.
Thanks tons for all you have done.
Sam

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

Suman Smith
Junior

- posted August 03, 2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Suman Smith   Email Suman Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I just got a soundstar 11XJ in pretty good condition. I am new to all this and I have an issue with my lens barrel. I was cleaning the projector and the two lenses came out of the barrel and I am not sure which direction they go back in. The other issue is one of the 3 little tabs on the removable back of the lens assembly broke and wont stay in place. I was wondering if anybody knew where I can buy a new entire f18 to 30mm zoom lens or how I can fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am dying to watch this Super 8 Star Wars film I got. Thanks!

Sam Sayger
Junior

- posted August 03, 2012 03:50 PM      Profile for Sam Sayger   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Sayger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Susan: Jon Adams was an incredible find on the internet! He sent me the lens assembly and would not allow me to pay him, nor even to send him a wooden pen which I make lots of as a sign of my appreciation. Also, he apparently had a heart attack at that time and had to deal with that - yet he still sent the lens. There was a mix-up in his original attempt and I did appreciate him so.
The lens was perfect and after I installed it, the projector worked fine. I never actually used it tho as a friend of mine gave me another, really GOOD 8mm projector which i did use. But the "Soundstar" is a great projector and is made better than any projector that I own and I have several now. Everything works just fine on it but the "spacer" needs adjusting and I am not the guy to do that. I'm 72 years old and am a partially disabled Veteran and cannot handle stress at all. If you have someone who is capable of helping you adjust the projector, I will sell it to you for just what I bought it for in the first place - which is $35 plus shipping. I believe that I could ship it just about anywhere in the continental USA for $15 and if you want it, I will accept PayPal for payment and will ship it to you.

--------------------
Sam Sayger
sayger2@gmail.com
Hernando, MS,USA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC