8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Transfer Projector for sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transfer Projector for sale
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2012 04:19 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm selling my first Film Transfer Projector.
See:
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000936

This machine is basically a Cinerex Dual Gauge projector which has been modified for “Frame by Frame” Film to Video transfer. This model is noted for its sturdy mechanism, and the film path is easily accessible for cleaning.
The modifications that have been performed are:
1 The shutter has been removed and a micro-switch fitted. This detects the point at which pull down ends (micro-switch opens) and the signal taken out of the machine via a”Sync On/Off“switch, lead and Phono Plug. This was originally plugged into a Phono socket on a modified mouse for use with CineCap or other “mouse based” software, but is obviously usable with any trigger system with suitable interfacing.
2. The lamp has been replaced with a 12v capsule lamp and a 12 volt power supply fitted to power it. A circular glass diffuser, sandwiched between sheets of white “copy” paper, is mounted between it and the gate. The original transformer and lamp holder are still in situ. The low wattage lamp allows for setting up the picture without damage to film in the gate when in the Still picture position of the Control knob.
3. The “end stop” behind the Motor Speed control has been removed so that it controls the Motor speed from 3 to 19 fps approximately.
4. Part of the projector Control cover has been cut away to allow 600 foot spools to be accommodated on the rear spool arm. The front one accepts them as standard.
5. In order to allow lens/camera combinations used for pick up to come nearer the gate, part of the lens barrel support has been removed

The projector accepts all 8 mm gauges with a simple lever changeover. It comes with mains lead and a 400 foot spool.
There is, of course, no projection lens; the machine is ideal for transfers by the Frame by Frame method, capturing direct from the film in the gate with a suitable camera/lens combination (not supplied). No mirror or condenser lens need be employed so long as the image can be “flipped” in editing software.
The machine can capture at low speeds in its present set-up: removing the Speed Control end stop has enabled it to run at higher speeds as well so that faster Frame by Frame captures with suitable Software and Computer can be achieved. However, a faster acting detector than the micro-switch, such as a Hall Sensor or Photo-interrupter, might be needed, so this machine is a great basis for the experimenter.
240 volt input 50/60Hz.

Thought I'd offer it here and on one other Forum initially, rather than EBay, in the hope it would go to someone who would make good use of it. Please email me with offers: I'll see what the response is in, say, 2 weeks... then decide.
UK only really, because of transport costs.

[ July 15, 2012, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2012 04:52 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Item withdrawn as I've decided to put my efforts where my mouth is and upgrade this machine (which has a very stable and solid mechanism) for my next experiments into Capture methods. Sorry to those who have expressed interest!

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC