8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WANTED: Bell & Howell Loading Tire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED: Bell & Howell Loading Tire
Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in need of a couple of dozens loading tires used in some Bell & Howell series 300 and 400 projectors - I have checked the entire McMaster-Carr catalog without luck! [Mad]

-

Dimension (Outside 13/16”)(Inside 3/8”) (Width 5/16”) (Center Channel 1/16” to 1/8”).

I would appreciate any leads as to sources.

Thank you

Jon

|  IP: Logged

John Pechulis
Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for John Pechulis   Email John Pechulis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find them on ebay once in a while. There is guy named Clive Tobin from Tobin Cinema Systems that manufactures them.

--------------------
History frozen in the frames of film

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 01:57 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you John, the fellow on eBay has a few at $3.95 each plus shipping. I am not buying to resell but for personal projects, I want to find a source NOT on eBay. Ideally, the company that sells to the eBay fellow!

To the best of my knowledge, Tobin doesn’t manufacture these, he sells similar ones on eBay that he gets from the Bell & Howell projectors he uses to build his Telecine machines as his machines are highly modified and don’t use the loading tires.

Regards,

Jon

[ August 24, 2012, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Jon Addams ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 24, 2012 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon,

If a saw that picture outside this forum I would call it a "grommet" (No! Not Wallace's dog!)

In the electronics business this is a little rubber donut inserted into a hole in sheet metal to keep wire passing through from chafing and shorting to chassis.

-maybe if you search Digi-Key for "grommet" one of the several hundred they stock will do the job.

Digi-Key

They are under: Product Index > Cables, Wires - Management > Bushings, Grommets

Otherwise try:

Grainger
Newark Electronics
Mouser

(Maybe try McMaster again looking for bushings or grommets).

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 24, 2012 03:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

Check out McMaster-Carr P/N 9600K35

Close enough?

(100 piece package for $11.42)

I'm not familiar with these machines. What do these rubbery things do in there?

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These tires run the film into the gate there is a lever that one brings down to the tire that sends the film into the gate kind of an manual auto loader if that makes sense [Confused] [Razz]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a saw that picture outside this forum I would call it a "grommet"
A "grommet it is indeed! What a difference knowledge makes. Thank you Steve for the invaluable help.

Here are a couple of pictures how they are used by Bell & Howell - or as Jim described it "a manual auto loader." [Razz] [Razz]

-

-

McMaster-Carr has them [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 25, 2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to be of help, Jon!

Please just follow up and tell us how things turned out!

The interesting thing about that word "grommet" is Nick Park's brother is an electrician, and when Nick heard him use this word he liked the sound of it so much he actually did name Wallace's dog after it.

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 11:26 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

I received the Grommets today from McMaster-Carr, they are perfect. $16.79 (including shipping) for 100 instead of $5.95 for 1 on eBay - quite a saving [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Again, thank you.

Jon

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 29, 2012 12:05 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still looks like a "loading tire" to me! [Big Grin]

McMaster-Carr is a great place to find a lot of power transfer items. If you take the time to search their site you can find a lot of the hard to find projector items. Ther have gears, pulleys, GROMRETTS, rubber tires. I have purchased from them many times. Their service is fast and the prices are really low. [Eek!]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2012 12:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it worked out!

-

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

Where can I get one of these books? I've been looking all over for one like this [Wink]

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have to be a dog! [Wink]

--------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a dog can understand it so can I!!! [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be Careful!

When I was eight years old I picked up "The Golden Book of Electricity".

-I haven't been the same ever since!

(There's just something wrong about an 11 year old having his own phone system!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC