8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » newbie to a Eumig Mark 8 Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: newbie to a Eumig Mark 8 Projector
Maia Conran
Junior

- posted August 31, 2012 09:42 AM      Profile for Maia Conran   Author's Homepage   Email Maia Conran       Edit/Delete Post 
Just realised that this is in the wrong place!, sorry newbie error! I'll move it to the right place... if I can...

Hi all, I'm about to embark on my first artwork in Super 8! I've acquired a Eumig Mark 8 projector which seems to be misbehaving a little, it doesn't seem to work very well in reverse - especially at 24 frames, it's slightly better but painfully slow at 18 frames. I'm new to super 8 projectors (and to this forum!) and it came without a manual - is it possible that there's something I'm supposed to do that I didn't? Or would anyone have a manual for it I could have?

I see from some of the other topics that Eumig aren't considered the best, but I've also just borrowed a bell & howell autoload which to me seems to be working great, and there's a Sankyo and a Norris on the way (not sure which ones yet). So I'm guessing that I may be around this forum quite a bit for the next couple of months!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks for reading,

Maia [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Maia.

Ask 10 different people what the best projector is, and you'll get 10 different answers.
[Smile]

In today's world, a projector in great condition that works well and doesn't damage your films should be considered the best. What I find most important (in no particular order) is:
1. Brightest lamp
2. Fastest lens
3. Steady picture
4. Safe film handling

Most other features don't matter that much to me. I like the Elmo 1200 HD, but you need to find one in great condition. I've heard the Sankyos are also excellent, but I have never had one. I would try to get one that takes the EFR 150 watt lamp, though.
A Eumig 800 series (similar to your Mark 8) in virtually new condition is a great projector, but you will only get a max of 100 watts for the lamp. Anything less than virtually new, and you are bound to have speed problems due to the rubber disk drives -- which sounds like the problem you are having, though I would think it would effect forward as well as reverse. Try lightly sandpapering the drives and then clean with some alcohol. If you do a search you will find more detail on how exactly to go about this, but this is usually only a temporary fix, in my experience, though others have had more success.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2012 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maia. I'm in Bristol (UK) too, I work at UWE where I teach film (digital production) but am also incorporating super 8 and 16mm (which I have been collecting since '73) Send me an email, mark(dot)barton(at)uwe(dot)ac(dot)uk and perhaps I can shed some light on your issues ( I have 4 eumig series 8 projectors and there is a simple fix that might help) Thanks

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 06:00 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is correct in sanding the drive disc rubbers. I have always found that slow running Eumigs with this friction type drive, always run slow in initial start up after years of storage. A quick and careful sand and the speed picks up nicely.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC