8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo 1200' Super 8mm Reel and Can

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo 1200' Super 8mm Reel and Can
Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Silver Elmo 1200' super 8mm metal reel and a gray plastic Goldberg can, in good condition. $20 plus shipping to USA.

[ October 05, 2012, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Meyer ]

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 02, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

PM sent to you.

PatD

Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, sent you a PM

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 05, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Anymore of these Kevin or anyone else in the UK? Got one already but two would be nice to save rewinds inbeteen features as there really is no other spool I have experienced that compares to the engineering standards of this!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 05, 2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering, what's so special about these reels that they fetch relatively high prices? How are they better than regular plastic 1200ft reels?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 05, 2012 05:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael, just like the Elmos themselves these spools were clearly made in the days when Manufacturing costs was not the be all and end all. An era in time when quality actually counted for something especially in engineering which is something from personal experience us Brits were actually very good at once! For a start these reels run perfectly symetrically, by that I mean you seldom, if ever, hear that annoying swish sound that you associate with all other large metal spools as the inevitable buckle within the reel scrapes past your film upon every revolution! These reels run almost silently and very very true on both faces! They are made from brushed aluminium, look stunning on any GS or ST and as said earlier are very inkeeping with the quality engineering on all components of long play Elmo Projectors (except for the bits they manufactured in plastic!!)Just wish I could afford and was able to obtain enough of these reels so all my treasured feature films could be mounted on nothing but these and then all you ever hear as background noise is the relative hum of the projector, not the screaching reels ! Nuff said, guess I made it clear that I actually quite like these reels!

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 05, 2012 07:27 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

You can get them from Steve Osbotne of The Reel Image for 15.00. He doesn't have a website. I don't have his phone number off hand but I'm sure some will post it.

PatD

Kevin Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2012 09:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Meyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Price lowered

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 08:44 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi|KEVIN,i,ll take it,you get an p.m

regards:
luis caramelo

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont' forget that they sit perfectly straight on the spindle because the reel's shaft hole is solid plastic, not two flanges that ride unevenly on the spindle.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 09, 2012 04:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Another fine point of note Bill! The very reason why I hate 1600ft "Supaspools". Though I have to admit I have had to reluctantly use them on 5x600ft features just to get these films on 2 reels instead of 3 but they are so so noisy due to the fact they run so eccentrically because of the poor hub design as you were correctly mentioning Bill.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 09, 2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, it is possible to adjust the spools running by slackening
the bolts holding it together,then adjusting it for "true".

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 09, 2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also put a sponge (foam) on the arms to diminish the noise when reel tocuching the arms.

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 05:20 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add guy's the elmo 1200ft metal spools have those flat springs pointing vertically outwards from the hub , which grips the film and hugs it carefully guiding it to the hub itself , superb and clever design it seems to work faultlessly too . I try to get all my feature's on these where possible and they seem to fetch good money then they come up for sale on ebay.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 05:40 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! Kevin you got a new p,m

regards;
luis caramelo

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 07:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the secret I think Paul! The fact that the film is guided very accurately at the beginning into a narrower slot means the film has more room to manouvre when it gets beyond the springs and because of the earlier accurate guiding doesn't subsequently cause the dreaded reel screach when getting to 1200ft! It also helps that these reels at 1200ft are some of only a few that actually have a solid hub that moulds to the projector hub enabling the reel to run "true" at it's outer diameter, something that cannot be said for 1600 so called "Supaspools"!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC