8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WTB: Elmo GS1200 or any nice machine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB: Elmo GS1200 or any nice machine
Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for the above or something else that's nice and sturdy.

I've bought and sold lots of machines in the past but never tried a top end machine before so since I'm going to look to get some features now I guess I may as well present them properly.

Let me know what you have!

|  IP: Logged

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joel,

I have a rare yelco stereo 3600 computer control/quartz available. 1200ft capacity, stereo and built in crystal sync 24/25fps. It was made and also sold under the fujica brand name in japan. nice machine, fully working and in good cosmetic shape, no broken parts.

Rgds,

lee

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting Lee, do you have any pictures of it? Is it running ok and what sort of money were you looking for it?

Probably best to drop me a PM [Smile]

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2014 03:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
classic home cinema have some good projectors for sale

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 10, 2014 05:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel
Bear in mind that a lot of GS1200 projectors have had a rough life. Be very careful if you proceed, I suggest you do not use eBay, and try to find a seller who is prepared to give you a demonstration before you commit to buy what may be a very expensive machine.
It is considered that this projector was probably over-engineered, and as such there can be many things which could go wrong.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2014 06:51 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel,
A full demo is essential before you part with hundreds of pounds. Unless you set your heart on a GS1200 consider any good Super 8 machine with the A1/232 15V 150W lamp which hasn't been run into the ground such as a Beaulieu, Elmo ST1200, Eumig 938 or 940, Yelco 3600 or even the Chinon 7500. Condition is everything because repairs are expensive.

--------------------
Paul.

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I'm ok with repairs etc, my only real concern is availability of parts.

That Yelco machine looks preferable to be honest but I'd dare say parts would be impossible to find if needed. The electronics aren't as much of a worry for me as electronic repair has been my job for years. It's the mechanical portions that concern me.

At the end of the day though I've been flirting with this hobby for a long time and I feel like it's time to get serious about it before it's too late. These machines are pretty old now and I think buying any high end model is a risk I have to take if I want to get the most out of it.

Again, any model would be considered so long as it has:

Stereo sound
At least a 150w lamp
Recording capabilities with sound sync
Decent stability

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 11, 2014 02:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bauer T600 may fit the bill, and spares might be still available.
http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_bauer/bauer_t600.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 11, 2014 03:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The T610 is even better than the T600 and Phil Sheard has one albeit without the strongly recommended hard transit carrying case.

The Beaulieu is even better if you can find a decent stereo one which has had good maintenance over the years eg: new motors or heads fitted etc.This machine is as bright if not brighter than a GS1200 when used in 2 blade shutter mode despite it having the very cheap and easily found A1 232 15v 150w Xenophot lamp.It also produces the sharpest images I have ever seen on Super 8mm due to the superb Schneider Xenovaron fast lens and micrometer style focusing system.

Bear in mind Joel, these two machines are about the only two you can still purchase some essential new parts for. For example sound heads etc.

It is really difficult to find the parts you are going to need at some point for either a GS1200 or the Eumig 938/940. I speak from experience with the latter, and have never even been able to find a 938 spare drive belt as these were patented at the time of manufacture and spares from suppliers dried up many moons ago.

Both of the above machines can be adapted to pulse sync if you so wish by obtaining the necessary electronic internal motor controller parts and a Pedro sync box, expensive though!

As for being a tinkerer, my only advice if you intend restoring any machine is thoroughly read up on any procedure before "diving In". Take photographs every step of the way,document each stage of the procedure,make sure you have all of the necessary skills, tools, test equipment and knowledge before attempting any job especially electronic and by the end of all of this you will finish up with a "Haynes" style manual (like I now have) for your machine which becomes vital for future jobs and overall understanding of how your machine works and was designed.

Always try to find the service manual for any machine you buy as these are an essential starting point to obtaining genuine spares and learning how all of the elements work etc on your new machine.

[ June 11, 2014, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 11, 2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hard cases for the Bauer projectors can often be found on German eBay. Both my Super 8 and 16mm Bauers live in such splendid cases. In fact, the case for the latter is so heavy when its occupant is in situ that it is useful there are handles at each end of the case!

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 11, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Maurice and that is exactly how I obtained mine some 3yrs ago for the 610. A totally invaluable item for protecting these lovely machines and just about the best S8 projector carry cases ever made.

[ June 12, 2014, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel i tried to pm you but the messenger says Sorry, either the user or the board administrator is blocking access to this email address.

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2014 06:28 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because it's a Yahoo address?

It's best to contact me on retrorepair at yahoo dot co dot uk

I will remove my email once you confirm you have it!

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok i sent you a message there.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you still looking for a GS 1200?

--------------------
Tony

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...in all fairness if I was looking for a projector I'd go for the Yelco...

--------------------
Yannis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 08, 2014 09:29 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Yelco I think has great recording properties but when it comes to pure projection the mighty Elmo GS1200 is hard to beat. Great light, great sound, ability to put on the fantastic 1.0 lens. And..it can still be repaired.
The Yelco's do not have any parts left or people to repair it. That would be my big concern.

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2014 04:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joel,

I've an Elmo GS1200 for sale for you if you want.

The projector is in good conditions but there is a problem with the sound of the first track. There is a whistle when the projector is running.

That's why I'm asking a little price: £200 + shipping.

let me know if you're interested.

Best regards,

JC.

Alessandro Pavoni
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2014 10:41 AM      Profile for Alessandro Pavoni   Email Alessandro Pavoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Jean, I have sent you a PM.
thanks
Ale

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2014 09:13 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the GS1200 is still for sale, I am interested.

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean

Sorry for the late reply, I only just saw your message, I'll take it if you still have it!

Joel

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 29, 2014 02:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little precision for our non French speaking friends : Jean and Jean-Christophe are two differents names ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete and Joel,

The ELMO is already sold.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC