8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WANTED: Spring Take-Up Belt for Elmo ST-1200HD (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WANTED: Spring Take-Up Belt for Elmo ST-1200HD
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2014 05:50 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for a spring take-up belt for my Elmo ST-1200HD.
The rubber take-up belt will not work on this particular machine.
Thanks,
RS

|  IP: Logged

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2014 08:55 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why won't the rubber belt work?

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 17, 2014 09:07 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should work Roger. What kind of problem you having? Maybe I can help?

PatD

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2014 10:42 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vince & Pat,
Thanks for your help and you if you go to the 8mm forum and read my thread I posted this morning on the problem I'm having with the belt maybe that will help answer the problem I'm having.
Thanks,
Roger

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2014 10:45 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The rubber take-up belt will not work on this particular machine"
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Roger, I agree with Pat, it should work. There is nothing special about the belts on a ST-1200-HD. If installed correctly, it should work as the original were rubber.

Jon

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 09:41 AM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, got your reply. I would check the two pulleys that the belt wraps around. See if they turn easily. Also check to see if they are parallel to each other and not crooked. The rear gear can be removed with a screwdriver.

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 11:49 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Vince thanks I will check that out but the belt runs fine in the reverse mode when running a film and the forward mode without running a film so I'm wondering why it only acts up when you run a film in the forward mode? [Confused] [Confused]

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 12:52 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When watching with the back off, do you see the gears lock up when in forward?

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 02:28 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vince,
I'm pretty sure they were turning in the forward mode and not locking up but to be sure I will load a film and watch to see if they are turning in the forward mode. While I'm at it is there anything else you might want me to check?

I will check that later and let you know later today.
Thanks,
RS

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check to see if the front gears engage when you put it in the forward position...

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 18, 2014 03:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should you be installing a spring take-up belt now that summer is almost here?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 04:06 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vince,

Ok ran a test film and all the gears fully engage and turn and both take up pulleys turn easily & everything working like it supposed to.

Perhaps I can get some stop squeak and spray it on the belt.
And Steve our Summer here in AZ started 3 months ago!

[Frown]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 18, 2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is getting worse than me [Eek!]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 04:58 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Should you be installing a spring take-up belt now that summer is almost here"?
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 18, 2014 05:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-It would be like wearing white after labor day!

(Pat: Steve has probably been worse than you since toddlerhood!)

I did a couple of Februaries in Tucson, it was just summer enough!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2014 09:05 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I advise against putting any lubricant on the belts. New belts should work as they are.

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2014 03:26 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Luck

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2014 02:15 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to Roger and the rest of the members in the room,

You dont need a spring belt to fix this annoying problem, you only need to properly adjust the friction clutch that drives the take up reel.

On your machine, for some reason the clutch setting is too tight and the clutch won't slip when it should slip. It's fitted to the second last top gear, and the drive belt goes around it.

It should slip whenever its projecting forward and you grasp the take-up spindle with your fingers to stop it rotating. Thats when the clutch has to slip. You can see this happen if you watch it. This slipping prevents the belt from getting too tight on one side and loose on the other side.

So have a look at why the clutch wont slip. It's usually only adjustment needed. You need to loosen it off so it can slip.
Let us know how you go.

Dogtor Frankarnstein [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2014 06:34 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Frank,

Good to hear from you again and thank your for your excellent advise to fix this annoying problem.

One question to fix if I'm hearing you right I just take off that retainer washer loosen the
tiny hex grub screw first and adjust by turning that screw head with the spring behind it which provides the tension which will then loosen it up? Please advise so that I may then proceed.

Thank you for your time & consideration,
All the Best,
Roger [Smile]

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2014 01:50 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger,

I think you've got it right.
Do the clutch adjustment and then try it out.
See if you can make it slip when projecting forwards and then holding the takeup spindle.

dogtor frankarnstein [Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 23, 2014 09:34 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to hear how this repair turns out Roger and Frank. I love these cliff hanger endings [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2014 02:17 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Janice & Frank,

I'm afraid I will have to keep you both in suspense for a moment longer because stupid me as I was trying to loosen that tiny grub hex screw on the clutch the tool slipped out of my hand and fell down inside the projector. I can't see it anywhere and when I turn the projector upside down and shake it I don't hear it so it must be really wedged somewhere inside the darn projector. [Roll Eyes] [Mad] [Eek!]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 23, 2014 03:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer Roger [Mad] ....been there...done that. [Frown]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings fellow film enthusiasts!

I borrowed a new tool from the neighbor and
I'm pleased to say the mystery finally solved because I took Frank's advise and adjusted the clutch like he said to and the belt now runs perfect so Frank thank you for that and also a shout out to all the other forum members who offered their assistance.

And Janice I don't feel so much like an idiot now knowing that this has happened to someone else.

Roger Out [Smile] [Wink]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 23, 2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presto! Now we can all rest easy. Now, who's next?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC