8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Eumig s926 gl Sound to amplifier

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig s926 gl Sound to amplifier
Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2014 05:13 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,
I'd like to know if it's possible to connect my projector to my stereo amplifier? And if you know where I can by the cables needed? I think the projector is great but it's internal speaker... well, not so great.

-
 -
Cheers,
jan.

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 21, 2014 06:02 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use something like this

http://www.amazon.com/XANTECH-SLLC1-Converter-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000P0UE38

You'll need to fix some of those speaker connectors yourself, I did this and works fine. There's also a lot cheaper ones from China and Hong Kong

http://w ww.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-Radio-Speaker-Wire-to-pair-RCA-Line-Level-Converter-High-Low-IN-OUT-/250777404245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a637f8355&vxp=mtr

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2014 09:21 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Vidar. If you look further right, you'll notice two DIN sockets, one is for input, the other connects to streo amplifier. no need for devices like the linked ones. As a more straightforward solution, you might want to use the stereo headphones jack (6.3 mm), in which case you'll retain functionalities of all the switches on the main console (track 1 or 2 only outputting to both channels; tracks 1 and 2 outputting in stereo or mono mode, autoduoplay etc), along with volume balance and tone control: a very sensible and convenient solution. All you need is a male 6.3 stereo jack with a stereo lead outputting to L/R RCA jacks stright into your amp. But do not neglect attaching two external loudspeakers: the built in amp is not bad!

--------------------
Maurizio

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 21, 2014 11:35 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just assumed he meant the speaker out from the photo. I have a couple of projectors with only this. The adaptor was cheap, so I thought why not

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys!

I will try Maurizios suggestion and let you know the result.

Cheers,
jan.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 22, 2014 08:23 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Headphones out will give a too strong signal, wouldn't it? Be careful, start volume low, very low. Then you shouldn't bust any speakers or lines

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2014 08:47 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar is right, I forgot to mention that in my post - sorry. If you connect the amp to the headphones output, raise the volume slider not further than the 3rd or 4th dot, then the general volume should be set by the knob on the exernal amp. If you comply with these hints, you'll have no problems, I use my GS Xenon in this way all the time: headphones out is the most practical output.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 23, 2014 02:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All the previous suggestions work well on these machines but on European stereo models, I find that slaving out via the 5 pin din is the best solution as this allows the internal amplifier to also be enabled with external speakers whilst still "slaving" out. By using the headphone socket, this can in some instances cut the sound output from the projectors internal amplifier.

[ September 23, 2014, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2014 02:57 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Connecting the headphone out to the amplifier didn't work at all. Nothing happened, it was just silence. There is nothing wrong with the output since I often use headphones.

What to do now?

/jan.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 23, 2014 03:42 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried eliminating all the suspects?
Is the cord at fault? Or is it the amp?
With the same cord, did you try connecting another device such as an mp3 player to your amplifier?
Did you try another input socket on your amplifier?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 05:43 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
There's nothing wrong with the amp and I have tried another socket. There could be something wrong with the cord, I will check that, but I'm pretty convinced it's okey. Maybe the problem is what Andrew suggested.
/jan.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 05:58 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just adopt Maurizio's obvious solution... connect external speakers to the external speaker sockets?
That's what they are for and that's the way the machine was designed.
The "headphone" socket gives EXACTLY the same signal but at a lower level. So taking the signal from the "Headphone" socket and putting it through an external amplifier equates to....
1. Original SPEAKER signal, normally fed direct to speakers
2. REDUCE it through the headphone socket
3. AMPLIFY it AGAIN in external amplifier (ADDING any distortions from the external amplifier) and
4. Present it to speakers!

Why complicate the issue?

EDIT: If you MUST feed it through an external amplifier, then the BEST result will be obtained by using the DIN socket output, NOT the headphone socket.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big advantage of using the headphone socket output is, as Maurizio points out, the fact that you have complete control of the sound output using the existing mono, stereo, balance, bass, treble, and sound level, on the projector. Plus, if you are also using a digital projector and DVD/Blu Ray player, and/or a stereo sound CD player, it is much more convenient to route all the sound sources through the stereo amplifier and switch them there using the remote. Otherwise you wouild have to have an additional set of speakers just dedicated to the super 8 projector, which does not make much sense.
I always use the headphone socket through my stereo amp, and find it works very well.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2014 12:15 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul: your vouching for my suggestion makes me feel very much aknowledgeable indeed [Cool] .

As for the projector, if the headphone socket works with headphones, it must work with an amplifier too: things to check:

1)some output mode is selected on the 926's outboard console (Track 1, or 2 or 1+2 . mono or stereo!) and sound film is actually running through it

2) volume slider set at position 3-4 (not higher!!!)

3) amplifier input properly selected.

And there you go.

If it dosent's work there must be some issue we are missing here...

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 24, 2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One additional thing that I do, which I find significantly improves super 8 sound quality, is to route the headphone socket output through a 10 band graphic equalizer before inputting to the stereo amp. The equalizer enables selective boosting or suppression of distinct frequency bands, to boost high or low frequencies, suppress high frequency hiss, and low frequency hum or rumble.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2014 07:47 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I want to go with the headphone output is the same as Paul pointed out. I sure hope I can get it to work...
/jan.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC