8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Bell & Howell 16mm Filmosound projector value?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell 16mm Filmosound projector value?
Dawn Thomas
Junior

- posted May 01, 2015 01:11 PM      Profile for Dawn Thomas   Email Dawn Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi can anyone tell me how much this is worth, its a 641 or 642 model, and I've been told its worth around £400, as its in mint condition. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2015 03:03 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dawn

the prices you are told and the reality , well, are often a bit different in truth. Value on a B&H 16mm p/j depends on condition, obviously. It also depends on the condition of the gearing inside the machine, etc.
I can assure you that whoever mentioned £400 to you was giving you mis-information...sorry, but true. Back in the day and I have had a lot of B&Howell sold and bought ...even with replaced worm gears...£200 - 250 MAX ...and that is with a new worm professionally fitted. Without new worms...£75 to £125 if they are working. That is my perspective. Hope it helps. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dawn,
Welcome. I agree with Mark. It costs around £150 to have a Bell and Howell worm gear replaced, so only newly serviced machines will sell on Ebay for £200 or so. Working but unserviced machines are only worth £50-£75 as they will need attention within 5 years or 8 to 10 hours use.This is only a generalisation of course.

--------------------
Paul.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2015 10:50 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Dawn
That price for replacing the worm gear is about right. It usually ranges in the $250 to $300 range. This is because of the extensive projector disassembly in which many critical adjustments are lost and requires the use of special Bell & Howell tools/jigs to reset/calibrate. The labor time is in the range of 4 to 8 hours typically. Sometimes while the projector is apart to replace the worm gear, other parts might be also found to be worn or damaged and need replacing too. Generally, the projector is re lubricated during the reassembly procedure

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC