8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Wanted: Long Play system. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Wanted: Long Play system.
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 03:06 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few more pictures. Below you can see the brass fitting the spindle shaft fits into which then gets tightened by the screw. This somehow worked lose.
The plastic spacer mates between the motor shaft and its brass fitting and the brass fitting attached to the motor shaft.
 -

Below you can see the brass fitting attached to the motor shaft.

-

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 20, 2017 03:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes Alan, just the couplings and nylon membrane to assemble.

At first it appeared the full length of the shaft from the gearbox, but of course these photographs now make it all much clearer.
At least nothing is sheared or damaged so no real harm done and an opportunity for you to see how they were first assembled just in case you should ever choose to change out the Motor/ gearbox unit.

Fairly well put together these all in all and the components were quality sourced or manufactured by Spondon.

Also if you ever hear a rhythmic clicking static discharge sound through your projectors loudspeakers when using it with one of these long play units,check all metallic rotating parts are isolated and insulated from the outer framework, hence the nylon spindle housings and nylon membrane in between the two coupling halves.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 03:48 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear you cracked it Alan - they are simple in design and those little motors tough and long lasting hence the weak link was the cause - the one I have now was repaired by Bill with a small circuit board fault - the other two I had were used regularly for about 15 years before I sold them - regretted it the moment they went hence the latest one I now own I will hang onto.

Andrew - I have never experienced any static playback problems with my LP units just wondering if it happens with a specific projector maybe due to plastic gate parts rather than metal which would better ground the film static wise during projection?

Kevin.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 20, 2017 04:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It happens using the Motor as photographed above by Alan but I found it wasn't a motor issue as such.
I revisited the half couplings which were not sat entirely centrally in the box section and by centralizing the seated coupling and membrane, this sorted the issue.
I think one of shafts or brass halves was just touching on the one of the through holes in the box section framework when I first got it and was using it with a T610.

It no longer has the issue since though.

It was a rhythmic annoying clicking sound that was present once per revolution in the exact same spot and was electronically transmitted through the playback heads, amplifier and internal loudspeakers.

Prior to discovering the root cause, I used to earth the revolving motor shaft to eliminate the clicking sound.
Now I don't need to earth the unit.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 06:18 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good catch Andrew and thanks for the alert.
Yes Kevin these units are built to last the torque of the motor is intense. Glad in my case it turned out to be a simple fix.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC