8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » I have equipment to trade for films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I have equipment to trade for films
Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 12:32 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a equipment that I wanted to trade for films. I’m looking for features, Derann prints, Derann Disney, cartoons, cutdowns, western, sci-fi, certain Blackhawk releases, and more.

Living in Japan, there aren’t too many films I can buy here that I’m interested in. So if anyone has any films that they want to trade that are not faded prints and in good condition, let me know.

Elmo GS-1200 Xenon Optical (Japan 100V,25-50 1.4 lens, it will only reproduce sound for optical films)

Elmo GS-1200 (Japan 100V, 1.1 lens)

Kowa 8Z Anamorphic Lens

Elmoscope II Anamorphic Lens SOLD

Kowa Prominar Anamorphic-8 2X Lens(anamorphic lens for shooting on 8mm, rear barrel is less than 26mm in width)

Elmo Tape Sound FP(synchronizes projector and reel to reel tape)

Elmo Synchro Sound SA-1 (for Stereo Tape Recorder)

Hahnel Kollmatic SD8 film cement splicer

Send me a PM letting me know what you are interested in and what you can offer to trade for it.

All equipment would be shipped from Japan.

[ July 13, 2016, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Jason Smith ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 05:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, let me know if you ever stumble upon a SH 30 in full working condition with a F1.0 lens.Preferably with a universal voltage selector.

I would be very interested in buying it if we could come up with a deal.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I'll keep my eye out for one.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 08:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jason,

I suggest you pop the backs off the projectors and see if there are options for other line voltages. There probably are and this would make the machines more attractive to the rest of the world.

If getting films shipped to Japan are a problem for you, I wouldn't mind you having them sent here so you could grab them next time you come to CineSea. I could check them out for you other than the fact I don't have optical sound and so far no 16mm either.

(-and if it's a really, really great film, I may need to check it out...twice, just to be sure!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 08:14 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, a Xenon 1200 that only has optical sound reproduction. Guess these were for the in-flight market? Wonder if you retrofit the neccesary parts from a non-xenon to add mag sound?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(You meant to say parts from a mag sound GS of course.)

You could run into funky things like the parts populated on the sound board. Elmo may have chosen to depopulate the parts associated with the mag sound pre-amp in this machine.

-on the other hand it may have worked out cheaper to have the same sound board for all of the GSs and the difference would be the optical only has a couple of jumpers shorting out the mag sound input.

-then there's the heads of course, a switch, possibly the panel the switch sits in, wiring, etc., etc., blah blah blah...

This machine has the auditorium lens.

-nice!

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 08:44 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, would you be motivated to put the playback-only Elmo xenon on eBay UK? I would certainly be a bidder! I would be interested in it as a spares machine for my GS xenon. Is it marked as a 'P' Xenon on the cover? Pictures would be great. I would be a cash buyer, I don't have any films for trade.

I imagine it might be worth 130,000 yen, or around £800 sterling for a start price, or maybe more...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 09:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jason.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 09:49 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guess these were for the in-flight market?
No, Stuart, in-Flight entertainment was using cartridge projectors. There was a picture of this type of projector somewhere in this forum (showing a stewardess uploading the cart).

Steven J. Kirk, I expeced you were aware that the GS1200 Xenon was an optical projector ONLY.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 10:31 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-not always.

Doug's GS Xenon is magnetic and optical.

Optical sound was very popular in Japan, and that probably explains this machine.

Actually, an optical only GS could be a very different beast. It really shouldn't be stereo capable unless they had stereo optical prints in Japan.

-and if they did, that means it would have two single output channel optical pre-amps instead of one dual output channel.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 04:51 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a P xenon that is mag stereo and mono optical

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/roberto967/images/GS-1200-HTI-XENON.HTM

but I think this is just a bare bones optical and I believe the xenon is 'high' light only, no 'low' setting. But I may be wrong I am remembering from somewhere back in that haze of the past...

--------------------
VistaVision

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 05:59 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the responses.

Steve, thanks for your offer. I may take you up on it. I've seen quite a few films for sell in the US/UK that I wanted to purchase but shipping kills the deal every time. I think there would be a possibility of changing the line voltage...but I don't see any type of rotary switch like on other machines. As you stated earlier, optical was very big in Japan. Every digest and feature has been optical. Although sometimes, they're were a few companies in Japan that offered digests in optical and magnetic.

Steven, I believe the GS-1200P does have a high and low setting. If you look at the first picture of the link you sent, you can barely see a high/low lamp switch on the Xenon power supply at the bottom of the machine

I know a GS-1200 Optical is a machine that not many people have been able to see, so I wanted to share the very little I know about this machine with pictures.

I've never seen a GS-1200 with all of its original packaging but this one has it. It even has the cardboard insert that goes under the handle.

-

With no magnetic playback and no recording capabilities, I always feel like somethings missing from the machine. It only has one job...to play back optical 8mm films.

-

I've heard a lot of speculation as for how many GS-1200s were ever made but this was in regards to non-Xenon GS 1200s and did not take into account the GS-1200s made for the Japanese market . I've found that GS-1200s in Japan have a different serial numbers. The serial number of this Xenon is 552143. The first two numbers signifies its a Xenon machine. I've seen other GS-1200P Xenon's and GS-1200 Xenon's here in Japan that share these first two numbers. This leads me to believe that the 55 number was only for Japanese GS-1200 Xenon(correct me if I"m wrong). That would make this the 2,143 Xenon machine made in Japan. This is the largest Xenon serial number that I've seen here in Japan. I have several reasons to believe this may be one off the last Xenon's ever made.

-

The film path

-

With no magnetic playback and no recording, there are a few things missing here.

-

After popping up the top, one of the first things about this machine that surprised me was how clean it was inside. I've seen quite a few machines that have a lot of dust in them but this machine is pristine. In the picture below, the electronic governor motor for the film transport has a date of January 13, 1989. [Confused]
Does that mean this machine was made post 1989? How long did Elmo continue producing GS-1200s? The plot thickens.

-

In this picture, you can see the take up motor. When I first saw it, I thought that something looked a little different. I"ve seen the innards of quite a few GS-1200 but never with this type of motor. Usually, I"ve seen copper colored motors with a manufacturing date, but not one quite like this. This is another reason why I believe this machine is a very late model.

-

I would post more pictures but I just found out there's a forum limit of 8 pictures per post.
If there is no interest in trading it for films, then I may eventually put it up on Ebay. I will let you all know.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 06:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notice that single VU meter: it's looking like a monaural GS-1200!

I'm curious if there are one or two external speaker jacks and I'd love to see a shot of the rear panel.

An old friend in the UK and I used to use each other's addresses for E-bay buys. Between the two of us we busted the "domestic only" sales barrier many times!

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 06:43 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, here's a picture of the back side panel.

-

This is a picture of the back panel. Nothing to see here. Move along.

-

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks to be in exceptional condition. Presumably it has a Toshiba lamp and maybe the metal xenon reflector. It could also be used for silent films of course. Assuming it does all work and the lamp is good and with all the original packaging, as a curiosity it is appealing...

If it goes on eBay UK I will certainly bid. Thanks for the pictures, Jason. Very interesting.

--------------------
VistaVision

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 07:11 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, It does have the Toshiba lamp and the metal xenon reflector. It would be a shame to make it just a parts machine but as an optical machine, it would probably see very little use outside of Japan. Using it as a silent machine, is a great idea. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 07:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago somebody here saw a version of ST-180 made for playing R8 silent.

-this machine is funky to just about the same level!

It's a GS Xenon gone simple: a contradiction in terms.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 09:17 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a GS1200 Xenon from Japan and it works fine here in the US. I think the difference from 100v-110v was factored into the transformer as it doesn't have additional taps and the US version also is designed with no additional taps so its most likely the same transformer used in both models. Mine runs like new!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 09:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

The Xenon power supply is probably regulated, and so is the motor drive, so the end voltage stays the same.

The voltages on the sound circuitry will come up a little, hopefully this fits into the slop built into Elmo's design.

On the other hand if it was a halogen machine the lamp wattage would go up over 30% between 100V and 115V because it's direct power from the transformer, so the bulbs wouldn't last very long.

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 11:18 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, thanks for sharing that. I think that helps explain the transformer. My GS-1200 Xenon Optical has 125V 10 amp transformer.
Steven, my halogen GS-1200 has a 125V 5 amp transformer.

Here's a picture of the Xenon Optical transformer in my machine.

-

If I understand this correctly, since it seems that all Japanese model GS-1200s have a 125V transformer, even though on the back panel its marked 100V it will work without a stepup transformer in the USA correct?

I wonder if all of the GS-1200s made for the USA market have the same 125V transformer.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 29, 2016 03:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optical films are not that rare. A French company, Les Grands Films Classique, released black and white optical films which are still in good condition (the Airlines colour prints tend sometimes to loose their colours). I completely agree that it would be a shame to use this projector that seems to be in mint condition for spares.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2016 05:31 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 125V transformer is perfect for our line voltage, it's more 100V that becomes a problem, especially on a halogen machine.

Let's say the lamp is getting the full 24V at 115 in. At 100 you would get about 20.9V on the lamp. Where it hurts is power goes up and down with the square of the voltage and (20.9/24)^2*200W is 152 Watts.

Congratulations: just by moving to Japan you've turned your GS-1200 into an ST-1200! (...at least lamp wise!) [Wink]

(I've worked with many Japanese technical people, and I don't see them letting something like this slide!)

So the halogen GSs probably have a tap on the transformer if they are for either North America or Japan. Since the Xenon machine has a power supply for the lamp, that probably regulates away the difference.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 29, 2016 07:19 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a GS-800 from Japan that was set up for 100V. Everytime I put a bulb in it would blow immediately. Then I noticed the 2nd tap and when I put the wire on the 2nd tap the machine was set for 110 and it worked perfectly.
So the theory on the Xenon power supply USA vs. Japan sounds correct. My GS runs without a convertor.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 29, 2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to know which voltage you have is to measure it. Until we changed to 220 volts in the 50's, we called it 110 volts but it was in reality 117 volts, the 110 appellation was kept as it was the voltage before the WWII. We still say "220 volts" but the voltage is in reality in many European countries 230 volts but can go to 240 volts (in the same country, you can have 230 or 240 volts).

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2016 04:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of these numbers are really just names people give to their local systems. The real voltage moves all over the place depending on the load and what the power companies do to try to fight back.

I made a real mess out of a test in high school because all the questions were based on 120V and my brain automatically went for 115. Fortunately the teacher sat me down the next day, pointed out the goof and let me fix it!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC