8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » CUT-A-RUT manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CUT-A-RUT manual
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2017 01:42 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking instructions for the machine "Cut-A-Rut", to remove the magnetic stripe.

...Or even someone who knows just how it works! [Smile]

-

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2017 06:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a look at old Movie Maker magazines to see if they did a test report.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2017 07:34 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Brian. I wait. [Smile]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2017 09:49 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, no luck in finding a review but did find this advert showing it in use
 -

I can understand you wanting more info as to how to set it up as getting the blade depth right looks difficult as film base thicknesses do vary. One guide roller seems in slightly different position, maybe the design changed over time.

Also the advert states "Including blade sharpening block for use with a fine oil stone" which I assume is the other block in your photo.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2017 11:30 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Brian, it'is always a useful tip!
In addition to the differences in the use of the blade and positions, I wonder: it should be connect to a projector or to two rewinders arms?
I think to the rewinders, with a projector would be too inconvenient and not practical.
What do you think?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2017 12:51 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, the important part is to keep the correct tension of the film around the roller where the cutter is removing the stripe. The stripe thickness be it paste or laminate is only .001" thick (one thousandth of an inch, an up and down movement of the film will gouge a groove into the film or only skim the top of the stripe off. However you tension it, this would need to be a constant, plus the sharpness of the cutter, and the correct angle in relation to the film plane at all times. It looks simple enough and trail and error on some old film would tell you if this could do it, and leave the film in a condition you could re apply a new film stripe.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2017 03:15 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the holes in the base indicate it should be screwed to a workbench for use - between 2 re-wind arms sounds ideal.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2017 04:45 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all.
I try to tighen the film in the right way, with the use of rewinders, without ruining it and trying not to "peel" only the upper part of the stripe.
I keep you updated!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC