8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » 2 X 1500ft grey plastic PLIO reels for sale on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 X 1500ft grey plastic PLIO reels for sale on ebay
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just listed these on ebay ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X1500ft-super-8mm-Plio-magic-grey-plastic-reels-LOOK/322764264570

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 11:53 AM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

In the picture on this ebay listing it looks like 16mm reels--??

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, they are, in fact, super 8mm film reels. i just recieved these with two feature films on them, one being "Way Out West" and the other being "Our Relations" (note that the one reel still has film on it, it's "Our Relations" and that film runs 74 minutes, and it doesn't fill the reel!).

Most definitely, super 8mm reels. [Smile]

--------------------

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ok...I was looking at the hubs in the picture. Those look like the 16mm "keyhole" style. I guess I am used to the round Super 8 hubs with the three wings.

Greg

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 04:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi

I am concerned you have described these as for super 8 film projectors - yes they are the correct film width in size but those 16mm style centres will only fit on a Racine or some Spondon long play units - the more usual large capacity super 8 projectors such as the Beaulieu 708EL and Fumeo 9119 can accept spools of this diameter but not with those square centre holes.

Just trying to save you any post sale Ebay hassle in case a buyer is expecting Super 8 size hubs.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 20, 2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Phil at Classic had a shed load of these type of spools and he couldnt give them away as hardly anyone had the facilities to use them.
As kevin says, only certain LPU's can accept them.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 21, 2017 11:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the picture shows the "keyhole" style of hub and so there's no deception going on in the auction and I make note of this in the description below, so, the person who bids on them best pay attention.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 21, 2017 03:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For clarification purposes here, what these spools offer is an 8mm film holding width (same as any other regular 1200ft Super 8mm spool) but using 16mm mounting hubs. (Square Centre)

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew ...

Just wanted to be clear in what you're saying ...

Are you saying that these reels will only hold as much as a 1200ft reel?

If that is what you are saying, that I unfortunately have to respectfully correct you, as "Our Relations", one of the films that came on a singular reel, one of these two same size reels, (both reels are the same size), is a 74 minute feature film, and it not only fit on one reel, but there was actually as much as ten or more minutes of space left that could fit onto the reel with extra film.

"Our Relations" at 74 minutes, will not fit on a 1200ft reel. [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No sorry Osi, I wasn't implying that the spools only hold 1200ft of Film, simply that the width of the spools is standard for 8mm film just as 1200ft normal large spools are.

It wasn't very well written so sorry for any confusion but in a nutshell,.. a large long play Super 8mm spool but strangely fitted with a standard fitting styled 16mm hub.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd certainly agree with that! I'm sure that these would have sold originally MUCH better with a standard super 8 "hub" (well that's what I'll call it), so it could be mounted on any super 8 projector ... with VERY long arms! [Smile]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 23, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should emphasise the fact that these have hubs which are unusual for Super 8 and will not, in fact, fit any of the usual "top-of-the-line projectors". Your auction appears to suggest that they will.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 23, 2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... I thought that the projectors that this will fit were "top of the line". It's not bad advice, though, and I might do that, but hey, the picture as well as the disclaimor in the auction should be pretty self explanatory.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 23, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Osi, ALL Super 8mm projectors have spindles designed to accept standard Super 8mm spools with a half inch round bore and at least one spline to slot into one of the three equally-spaced slots on the outside of the bore hole, 120 degrees apart from one another.

The only machines these will fit to use with any Super 8mm projector, is a seperate and completely independant long play unit designed to be used with either 16mm projectors or a long play unit designed to be used with 16mm or 8mm projectors via spindle adapters.
The Spondon LPU is one such example of a machine capable of accepting these reels while being used with a dual sprocket Super 8mm projector.

There are no Super 8mm projectors made that allow these reels to be directly fitted to their arms, no matter how large the arms or their capacity.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2017 11:29 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned the word RACINE and a red flag went up inside my head. Aty least it was a red flag inside my head and not a voice.

Racine Products based out of Racine Wisconsin had a tower type device that held those reels on a single extra long shaft. I remember pictures and an article in the magazine super 8 film maker.

The article got my interest in a long play unit. But those reels made at 8mm width using a 16mm square arbor hole turned me right off from buying the product.

Although I loved the idea of the larger reels behind my 400 foot machine at the time.

Wasn't there a Eumig projector that had both reels, supply and take up on the same shaft at the same time? The Racine extend a reel device worked that same way.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC