8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » 24v 250w Transformer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 24v 250w Transformer
Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one know where I can pick up a cheap 24volt at least 250 watt transformer from. Ive tried a new one off ebay, that didn't work and I've tried a second hand one off ebay, no luck with that either. I believe that the transformer out of an old slide projector is ok, as long as its the right voltage etc, but they don't seem to come very cheap. Any ideas any one.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 07, 2018 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clive,

What are you operating?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 12:17 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, Im looking to run a separate power supply for a 24v 250w Xenophot lamp into my GS1200

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 07, 2018 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are pretty simple: basically have to work if all the Volts and Watts are correct.

What did (or didn't) happen?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 12:48 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new one off ebay didn't work so I got a refund, and the second hand one I got keeps blowing fuses

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 01:38 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of slide projectors were 24v 150w so the higher power ones would be in a minority, possibly because of their higher price originally and good light output.

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 01:45 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly the light output will be hardly noticeable. Also the extra heat will be no good for the machine either.

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2018 08:18 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your advice Simon

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2018 08:34 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go for the HID150 conversion. More costly, but NOT when you work out the cost per hour with the HID lamp rated for 850 hours. You will need a Xenpow HID 150 lamp plus the ballast needed to run it. The lamp will fit exactly into the lamphouse without any modification.

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon, Thanks for your reply, I had thought about going down the route of the HID150. The problem starts I believe with the cooling fan, If it was just a question of swopping the lamp and running a separate power supply to the lamp from the ballast that wouldn't be a problem. But if you have to start putting a different cooling fan in and a dowser, you are starting a whole new ball game.
I think working in a cinema for a number of years and running a video projector at home some how spoils you for having a bright image. I have tried the ESC 24v 200w lamps and the EJL 24v 200w lamps, and to be honest, I don't see much difference, or maybe my eyes need checking [Smile]
So who knows what I will end up doing, probably nothing. But its all fun.
Thanks agin, Regards, Clive

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 08, 2018 02:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive

I would look for an old mechanical broken down slide projectors like the Elmo we used at the cinema. They used a 24v 250watt lamp, all you need to do is cut and run the two wires to the film projector and still use the high/low selection on the slide projector.

You should be able to pick them up for almost nothing these days [Smile]

Mike Shaw
Junior

- posted February 08, 2018 05:35 PM      Profile for Mike Shaw   Email Mike Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive....I have these transformers 240v input 24v 250w output but cost of sending to the U.K from Australia would be enormous but if you can find a old Overhead projector i.e Hanimex,Gilkon,etc there easy to remove and will do the job you want.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 08, 2018 06:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to add one thing, dont cut the wires at the GS1200, just move them and the original lamp socket to one side, as you might want to get things back to original one day. [Smile]

If you look at this photo, you can see what I have done regarding the projector side, also moving the lamp back the 10mm as Thomas mentioned. The thing is Clive, is if your not happy with the end resuults, then its easy enough to put thing back to how they were...give it a go.. you have nothing to lose [Wink] [Smile]
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC