8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WTB GOKO Rm 8008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB GOKO Rm 8008
Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2018 11:10 AM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking to buy a GOKO RM 8008 in working order. Willing to pay top dollar for one in very good condition wiyh all functions working properly.
I am planning to build a telecine converter using the GOKO.
Thanks...
Bill Proctor

--------------------
US Army
Combat Motion Picture Photographer,
Vietnam, 1966-1967.
Trained at the US Army Pictorial Center, Astoria New York. 1965-1966, Which is now the Kaufman Astoria Motion Picture Studios.

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2018 03:56 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting project Bill. Look forward to hearing more about it.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2018 07:48 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I'll give you advice for the purchase. These beautiful editors, with time, had a bad defect, which I think came out in one of three of this models. On a little sprocket of one centimeter in diameter, in the dragging mechanism, it tended to make a crack, a small damage of less than half a millimeter, but that made the image jumps. Defect that did not affect the rest of the feature, of course.
Many sellers don't notice this problem.
I have this editor (version Erno, similar), I found one perfectly functional, but with that problem. I managed to find another one with many faults but with the optical partintact, I bought it cheaply and I could replace the piece.

Here is the problem. Watch out for purchase! [Wink]
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008983#000001

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi..
Thanks for the heads up on the broken sprocket. I had a new one of these when they first came out in 1979. My son is a mechanical engineer and we are going to do the drawings for the conversion together. One of the things I am going to do is replace the lens with a High Definition lipstick camera and a monitor that records in 1920X1080 / 1080X1440 Hi-Def directly from the camera to the monitor. You could use the same set up on a projector if you mounted a defusser between the lamp and the film gate to eliminate hot spots.
I have the same set-up mounted on one of my Beaulieu 6008S cameras as a video assist. It records on MicroSD or MicroSDHC class 4 external memory card up to 32GB. Video assist is nice especially if you have old eyes. Plus, its an instant way to view your daily's.
Finally, I have an ELMO 912/S sound editor I can use if I dont find a GOKO. These are relatively inexpensive and can still be found under $200.00

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.
Trained at the US Army Pictorial Center, Astoria New York. 1965-1966, Which is now the Kaufman Astoria Motion Picture Studios.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2018 01:10 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, You had a good idea, I think nobody ever turned those good big editors into telecinema machine.
I think they can be better for this purpose, even of many projectors.

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2018 07:50 AM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi....
The conversion will entail modifying the front cover of the GOKO RM 8008, and figuring the placement of the lipstick camera. The original viewing screen will be removed. Once I figure what the modifications are, the process should be easy, that's why I have a mechanical engineer for a son. I'm going to use a Black Magic HI-DEF Video Assist Monitor for viewing and it records to a scan-disc.The Black Magic monitor is what I use on my Beaulieu 6008S as video assist.
If I can't get the GOKO, I have a Elmo 912/s I may use, but I like the prism on the GOKO better. The only difference...you can play back sound but you can't record. My son and I are going to work on the drawings next weekend. I hope this makes sense...
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.

Sami George
Junior

- posted June 10, 2018 10:19 AM      Profile for Sami George     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is fascinating what you are doing I too been working on similar project for over a year let me tell you a little bit about it. GOKO FlashScan

HD Super 8mm Film Scan in Real-Time Sound & Silent.

No intermittent Movement. No Shutter. No Sprockets. No Claw. No Prism , Continuous Motion Capstan Drive System.

Laser Based Perforation Detection.
Fast and Easy to Use. Happens in Real Time

The Safest Way To Transfer Film To Digital is the Flash Scan System.

The Flash Principle is as simple as it can be. The film runs smoothly through the gate via Continuous Motion Capstan Drive Transport System and whenever a new frame is right in front of the camera the Laser Perforation Detector Scans the Holes for Frame Synchronization and Triggers an LED Light Flash impulse and at the same time it Triggers the HD Camera to capture one frame at the time. The Impulse is so short - just some Milliseconds - that there is no chance for the picture to blur.

Allied Vision Technologies Camera is used to capture every single frame directly from the film as it passes in front of a Strobe Light.

Thanks to this technological choice, the achieved quality is close to the one used by professionals processing film archives for movie studios, television production companies or other demanding professional clients.

The camera is directly triggered by a laser-based system that detects every single frame change by detecting the perforations on the side of the film. That way, the frame rate of the camera is perfectly synchronized with that of the film. The result is a stunning stability of the digitized video that probably outperforms the projectors of the old days.

Since the laser detects every single frame position for its own it does not matter how shrunk or badly spliced the film is.

--------------------
Sami George

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sami...
Sounds fascinating and well thought out.
Which GOKO unit are you using? Sounds like you have a Electrical Engineering background? Unfortunately I don't have the scientific smarts so my project will be more MACGYVERED but should work. Looking forward to seeing your completed project in action once you have it up and running.
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.

Sami George
Junior

- posted June 10, 2018 07:28 PM      Profile for Sami George     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, the system is already up and running and I am using GOKO RM-8008 the only problem that I am facing now is that I am using a low-cost camera the actual camera that I need will cost about $5,000. I tried to post some pictures and this site did not allow me to do that because of the size of the pictures

--------------------
Sami George

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2018 08:38 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sami...sounds expensive..
What camera are you going to use. I am going to use a Hi-def Sony lipstick camera and a Black Magic 4K video assist monitor.
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.

Sami George
Junior

- posted June 11, 2018 09:22 AM      Profile for Sami George     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does sound expensive but this system requires a very high speed camera and to capture one frame at a time in real time currently I am looking at several makes and models and have not decided yet which one to use because of the cost

--------------------
Sami George

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2018 11:29 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting these pictures on behalf of Sami. (Forgive me Bill for posting these pictures in your WTB thread but I knew you would want to see them.)

Pictured below is the GOKO FlashScan HD Super 8mm Film Scan in Real-Time Sound & Silent.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 06:40 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks fantastic, I'd love to build something similar.

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2018 02:26 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason...I've been away for a couple of days. I bought a mint Sony 713 Super 8 Sound full-coat recorder and have been playing around with it..and this is the first time I have seen this and I must say this is a fantastic piece of engineering.
Tell Sami I can't wait to see it in operation. This configuration is close to what I had in mind but without the high speed camera. I'm going to use a 4K digital camera synced with the GOKO to capture each frame almost in real time...that's my idea anyway, we'll see how that works out.
Bill
Sami is brilliant!

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.

Sami George
Junior

- posted June 16, 2018 08:06 AM      Profile for Sami George     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thank everyone for your wonderful compliments I will be posting more information about this project in the future

--------------------
Sami George

Sami George
Junior

- posted July 05, 2018 08:56 AM      Profile for Sami George     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's two other projects that I was working on and now they are complete. The first project is an ELMO ST-600M Tele-Cine.
This system is based on the ELMO ST-600M Projector. The projector is modified for Tele Cine Film To Digital Sound or Silent Super 8 Film Transfer, it runs at 20fps adjustable speed in Real-Time. The projector is equipped with a Built-in HD Camera 1280 x 720 Resolution. The Camera is mounted inside the Projector looking directly at the Image. The Dimmable Cool LED Source Provides 3500K-5500K Nature White Light. The Projector also has a Built in Analog To Digital Sound Converter System that provides Perfectly Synchronized Sound with Video. In the front of the projector there are two USB outlets, one for Digital Video and the other for Digital Audio. You simply connect the two USB cables from the projector to your PC. After loading the film and checking the sound level you can start capturing the film using the software. The Recommended Software that I am using is (Movavi Video Suite 15).
I chose This software because it is capable of capturing video and audio from two separate sources, this option is necessary because the video is coming from the camera and the audio from the sound converter. After capturing, you can adjust the speed of the film to 18fps or 24fps or any desired speed by increasing or decreasing the Video speed Percentage % using the software. Both The Camera and Sound Converter are Independent Units powered by USB from the PC and controlled by the Software.
All you need is The Software & a Computer, preferably with Windows 10.

The second project is an ELMO ST-180 REGULAR 8 Tele-Cine. This projector is also modified for Tele Cine Film To Digital Silent Regular / Standard Silent Film Transfer. This project has the same specifications as the first one.

Once again I tried to download some pictures and It was not successful

--------------------
Sami George

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sami...
Sent you a PM
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC