8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WANTED: 8mm Take-Up reel for Kodak Brownie Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED: 8mm Take-Up reel for Kodak Brownie Projector
Sarah B Passemar
Junior

- posted February 07, 2019 05:04 PM      Profile for Sarah B Passemar   Email Sarah B Passemar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to 8mm film. Found an 8mm projector, and it's so much fun, but I can't find a take-up or take-in reel that fits it! I've bought 2 reels so far, and neither of them fit. Hoping this forum can either help me find one, or can link me to a reel under $10. I'm a noobie!

8mm, not super 8.
200', not 400'.

Here's a picture I found online of what I'm looking for:
 -

Thanks so much!

-Sarah

[ February 25, 2019, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Sarah B Passemar ]

--------------------
Sarah Bird

|  IP: Logged

Sarah B Passemar
Junior

- posted February 25, 2019 12:17 PM      Profile for Sarah B Passemar   Email Sarah B Passemar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Sarah Bird

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 25, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reels are interesting creatures!

-very often they become worth less with a film on them than empty. Empty? They are an entity unto themselves. Full? Now they are just a container.

I paid $75 once for "Grease" on 2 Elmo 800 Foot reels. I'd expect to pay 40 to 50 for the same pair of reels without the film! This doesn't mean though, that if I'd gotten the same film on really skeazy reels the price would have dropped to $25 to $35: it's just the idea that I was buying the film, not the reel.

(Maybe the next time I buy a car, I hope there's a garage around it...)

If you are looking for an 8mm, 200 Foot reel, maybe the strategy is to go on E-bay and look for the most pathetic sounding R8 film they have (Casper the Friendly Ghost, silent, scratched, red faded) that's on a 200 foot reel and ending in 5 minutes.

-bid low, and be prepared to put the film where the orange peels, egg shells and empty milk containers wind up!

(Go for media mail delivery: it's cheaper)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Sarah B Passemar
Junior

- posted February 25, 2019 01:10 PM      Profile for Sarah B Passemar   Email Sarah B Passemar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I just made the connection that my roomate has a 3D printer, and can potentially print me one that fits! There are already free files for the reels available! I know there are libraries out there that have printers available, too.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/super-8-standard-8mm-and-16mm-film-reel-generator

Going to leave this post up until I'm sure that I have one that works for my Brownie. [Big Grin] Was so pumped when I figured this out. If it doesn't work, I'll totally take your advice. Thanks, Steve!!

--------------------
Sarah Bird

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very cool Sarah!
My only thought is if the material cost exceeds what one might pay for the reel otherwise...but if they are hard to find etc...why not. I bet they would be nice and sturdy.
Ah, technology...Maybe one day we'll be able to print a reel with a film on it as well [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Sarah B Passemar
Junior

- posted February 25, 2019 02:02 PM      Profile for Sarah B Passemar   Email Sarah B Passemar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The material will probably cost about $3, which is great compared to the $30 I've dumped online trying to get the right reel!

Will report back with a post on the forum if it works. [Smile]

--------------------
Sarah Bird

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 25, 2019 02:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another way:

Quite often Super-8 reels come with an R8 adapter That plugs into the S8 spindle acceptor.

Maybe there are 3D printer files for these too.

-if not, I probably have some among my debris.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Buck Bito
Junior

- posted February 28, 2019 06:35 PM      Profile for Buck Bito   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sarah,
If you make it into San Francisco during our Tuesday through Saturday business hours I'd be happy to give you a 200 foot reel that will fit on your Brownie. We have a big stash of recycled 200ft reels we use to swap out dangerously damaged reels for our clients' films.
-Sincerely,
--Buck Bito - Movette Film Transfer

--------------------
movettefilm.com

Sarah B Passemar
Junior

- posted March 02, 2019 12:51 PM      Profile for Sarah B Passemar   Email Sarah B Passemar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3D print of the reel worked! It fits onto my Brownie perfectly!

-

Thanks for all your help, everyone! [Smile]

--------------------
Sarah Bird

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC