8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Beaulieu or Fumeo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beaulieu or Fumeo
Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2019 12:34 PM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi fellow Forum members, I am looking to buy either a Beaulieu or Fumeo super 8 projector, preferably stereo, but not esential, and not stupidly expensive. UK only please. Message me on here or my email is, clivecasey1@gmail.com.
I live in hope, many thanks, Clive

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 22, 2019 02:01 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive
Take a look at the two.
https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_beaulieu/beaulieu_708el_cd.htm
https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_fumeo/fumeo_9119.htm
The Beaulieu is a Super 8 projector, and as I have said before, the Fumeo is a re-worked 16mm.
If both were on a table before you, you would most probably say yes to the Beaulieu.

--------------------
Maurice

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2019 05:09 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, Thanks for the links, very useful. I don't hold out much hope of picking one up at a reasonable price, but you never no.
Clive

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2019 10:01 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two excellent machines! That hold the large reels! Ether one would be great to have!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 23, 2019 11:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the large spools.
Note that the Beaulieu spools will also fit on a Fumeo, but the slightly larger (o/d) Fumeo spools will not fit on a Beulieu.

--------------------
Maurice

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2019 05:04 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still looking and hoping

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2019 05:39 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fumeo can take a larger reel than the beaulieu just, its a close run thing. Side by side for looks you probably chose the beaulieu, but would you use the recording facilities that you would pay for, you don't here of many recording with it even the stereo version, the elmo gs beats it hands down even with its over complicated fly wheel setup, without the wow that the elmo has ?. So your left with a replay projector, you can get the soundheads for both at around the same price. The fumeo 9119 I have is only a replay machine, but as said they were custom made to customer requirements, but again I have not heard of any one who has successfully recorded with one. I have never had the problem of lower loop former problem on mine, but I don't doubt it happens, and the reel take up problem is a spring loading tensioner that's difficult to know where it should be at any one time, and again I have not experienced this. They are both a bit cloncky with one function switch, both difficult/fiddly in my opinion to un lace, but not impossible. Very good sound on the beaulieu when right, and good on the fumeo but they do suffer with low sound problems, but can be fixed. This is just my observations Clive, I hope they are of some help to you, but your money that your spending, I thought that CHC had a fumeo or were expecting one, perhaps you could ask them .....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 24, 2019 09:12 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Paul just said, the Fumeo 9119 is a playback only machine (magnetic - 1 track + optical). All projectors produced by the company were single track machines.

The 9120, however, has recording abilities.

I owned a Beaulieu for several years and was never fully satisfied by its sound system. Not as good as an Elmo or Eumig.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2019 09:57 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, Jean-Marc.

May I ask in what respect?

I'd agree that my Elmo ST1200HD definitely produces a better bass, but my Beaulieu has a more stable, clearer sound.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 24, 2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I have said before, my Fumeo badged as a 9119 does have recording facilities.
As to spools, yes, the Fumeo spool is slightly larger than the Beaulieu spool. This is why it will not fit on the Beaulieu.

--------------------
Maurice

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2019 02:24 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just love these large reel machines! There is nothing like it!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC