8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Grease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grease
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grease
120 mins, 2400ft
CinemaScope anamorphic print
Colour
Available from Derann

-

I purchased this print from Derann about 3 years ago, and as soon as I projected it I was amazed at the superb print quality. Razor sharp with rich colours, this print looks gorgeous projected on an 8ft scope screen. The film of course is a nostalgic musical about high school life in the 1950's, interpreted with 70's style music. John Travolta and Olivia Newton -John are perfect in the lead roles. It is a very funny film, with some occasional racy language, and a great musical score including "Hopelessly Devoted to You", "You're the one that I want", and the show stopping "Grease" sung by the brilliant Frankie Valli. There is much to enjoy in this film, and my particular favourite reel is the High School Dance sequence, where there is an all too brief appearance by Ed Burns (77 Sunset Strip) as the egotistical Master of Ceremonies Vince Fontaine. The musical sound track is so good, that it needs to be in stereo. Unfortunately Derann only sell the film with a mono sound track, but if you take the trouble as I did, to re-record the sound track in stereo from the DVD, you will end up with a film of stunning visual and audio impact which will put any projected video in its place.
Very highly recommended
Print AA
Sound B

[ October 28, 2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 08:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I'm pleased to hear how enjoyable these features are.
I was always, fearful of getting into scope films, because I did not
know how sharp or bright the picture may be with a secondary
lens projecting the image.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
Yes I used to feel the same way- how can Super 8 CinemaScope possibly be any good? Well "Grease" was the first scope picture I ever purchased, and the quality of the scope picture just blew me away- and still does. Since then I have purchased several scope features, and I would have to say that I now much prefer scope prints, because the visual impact of that 8ft wide screen is like going to the cinema. My family and friends also much prefer to watch scope films. The thing you have to have with scope projection is plenty of light- so you need an f1.0 projection lens combined with a 150w or 200w projector, and preferably a 2-bladed shutter.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 10:46 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I wonder if I can get away with keeping the 3 shutter blade set-up in my GS1200? As you know the GS has a 200 watt lamp.
Have you tried scope films with the Eumig 938 machines?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 03, 2004 07:06 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
Yes the normal 3 bladed shutter on the 200 w GS1200 will give you a very bright scope picture up to about 8ft wide. Its just that the 2-blade will give you 33% more light. Either way you will need to use a fast lens (f1.0 if possible, or f1.2 max).
I often show scope films on my 150w Eumig 938. But I use a Kodak Ektar f1.0 prime (non-zoom) lens, which gives a picture almost as bright as the GS1200. This is the best lens I have ever seen, and because it is a 20mm fixed focus lens, it has much less light loss and much better contrast and definition than even the Elmo f1.0 lens, so I end up with a superbly sharp and contrasty scope picture. So, once again, the quality of the projection lens is everything.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2004 09:10 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Ohh, a second forum disussing about equipment [Big Grin]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested, the scope print from Derann of GREASE includes the cue marks in proper places. You will find this handy if you run with 2 machines for changeovers. When threading, just make sure that # 8 on the leader is stopped in the top loop. When you see the first cue mark, start motor. On second cue mark, turn lamp on, switch sound, and reach over and shut off opposite lamp. Assumed your machines are connected to an external amp or switch box via output cables.

Chip G

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 03, 2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Andreas has a point. Equipment and technical discussion should be confined to the main forum. Lets keep the film review section just for film reviews, period.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in the cinema, most prints came with information sheets about the make up for the projectionist. While it still was not a review per say, it was helpful stuff. Why not include makeup data here in the review section? If you're going to say it's on 7 reels color and scope, you should add the makeup info. Otherwise, I agree this should only be for film reviews.

CG

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 16, 2018 03:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 40th anniversary we viewed our a print a week or so ago. Re Recorded into stereo with a booming soundtrack, this is a great full scope print which we obtained from Steve at the reel image several years ago now for just $200. I dont think it would be found at this price again, Super image and great colours make this a winner for us. It never dates.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul and Tom
Thank You both for this amazing descriptions and pictures.
One more title to beat DVD and BluRay!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 17, 2018 03:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Oliver. Have to say, until i bought this feature i dont think i had actually sat through Grease on the TV once. This is now one of the most repeatable feature we have. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC