8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Warriors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Warriors
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Warriors (1979)
released by Marketing Films (in 1981)
The following versions were released:

1 x 400 foot
3 x 400 foot
Full Length (5 x 400 foot)

This is a review of the 3 x 400 foot version, as this was the only version I have been able to find. Apperently there weren't very many full length versions printed, as I have only come across one used print in the last 20 years! I didn't actually see this movie until it aired on television around 1984 and I realized this would be a great movie to own. By then, Marketing films was all but a memory. There seemed to be quite an abundance of Markenting's 3 x 400 foot movies left over, as you could get them very cheap at that time, but the full length releases were just hard to find.

And now, on with the review......

I won't go into the plot, just the contents of this digest. This opens with the usual light blue title cards that Marketing made for most of their digests. None of the original opening title scene is included, which was a real pity, since this scene really sets the pace of the movie and sets up the plot very well (not to mention a great music score).

After the titles, the digest moves right into the big gang meeting in the Bronx, where gang leader Cirus makes his speach. This scene is pretty intact and carries through to the assasination and the Warriors escape from the meeting. After the subway breaks down, just the climax of their confrontation with the Orphans gang is shown, and very soon after, they are confronted with the Baseball Furries. This scene is completly intact from start to finish.

The other scenes included are the fight with the female gang (Lizzies), the undercover cop scene when Ajax (James Remar)gets arrested, and the famous bathroom fight (100 % complete).

They arrive back at their home turf (Coney Island), where they confront the gang that framed them from the beginning, including the famous "Warriors...come out to playeeeay" [Cool]

The final confrontation on the beach with the Riffs is also intact, and a little of the classic rock song "In the City" (by Joey Walsh / The Eagles) is heard, then, "The End".

This is actually a pretty well edited three parter. My main disappointment, again, was not having that opening credit scene. Without this scene, the movie seems a little different. Debrah Van Dorken's character is never really introduced, she just sort of pops up near the middle.

If you are a fan of this movie, I HIGHLY recommend it, as most of the best scenes are here. They even managed to get most of the funny instigating female DJ scenes in. I don't really recommend showing this digest to people who have never seen the full length movie before, since the whole movie itself is considered a cult classic and should be viewed in it's entirety. It's better for fans who just like to see the highlights and can fill in the blanks.

Quality wise, the picture and sound are the usual good quality consistent with most Marketing releases at the time. I thought reel #2 was just slightly soft, with #3 being the best (the differences will only be noticed by us Super 8 people [Wink]

The film is masked to its original ratio. The colors are still very good on mine, as with most Marketing 3 parters. Nice full color boxes.

An acceptable alternative to the hard-to-find full length feature of this cult classic.

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 08, 2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,

I have the Marketing full length feature of "The Warriors". As you said, the general rule is that the color of their three parters holds up better than their features. Luckily, this feature print has warmed only slightly. The black tones are still rich and that's quite important since the majority of the film takes place at night. Sound and picture quality are good.
I agree with you about the importance of the opening credits. That subway ride sets up the entire film. My teenage son gets a kick out of this movie since we live in NYC and it shows what the city looked like during the budget crisis of the late 70's. Nicely directed by Walter Hill.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tim Drage
Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Tim Drage   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Drage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently watched this for the first time on DVD, great film! Would be great to have on super-8...

--------------------
Tim Drage
Animator & Director
Spite Your Face Productions
http://www.spiteyourface.com

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 22, 2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good film. When it first came out in the states i remember the uproar it caused. Many cinemas having to have police in the aisles because of the fights which brooke out during its showings.(Hard to imagine now with the violence in some of todays movies)
I to would like to own the full length version. Even if i could get hold of part one of the feature to add to the three parter i own. The 3 x 400 often crops up on the reguler lists.
With the marketing features the company used a different processing lab to the one used for the 3 x 400 ft editions which is why the later hold up better on the colour front.
Great film though [Wink]

We watched this film last night, first time in a while and i have to say we are a little dissapointed to see that on our 3 x 400ft version there is the early signs of fade.Bummer! [Frown]

[ April 10, 2013, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC