8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » John Carpenter's "The Fog" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: John Carpenter's "The Fog"
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 11:45 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just finished re-recording this wonderful print in Stereo! Yes and I finally got a great sharp, beautiful looking print.
A couple things I noticed with my print. There is one gory scene that is cut out very early on. Its where the crew on the boat get raided by the FOG. On my print its just one jab with the hand pick but on the DVD its 3 jabs. Is the rest of the prints like this?
Also I noticed on the DVD the color has been muted! The Super 8 print definitely looks better and truer to the original.
The print has the FOG looking blue and glowing. On the DVD the FOG just looks white and billowy. Strange that they changed it for the DVD release.
Great film from John Carpenter and if you like horror a great one to own and re-record.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is quite a lovely print.

Mine is in mono, but I have desired to re-record it in stereo.

My wife still jumps at all the scary parts, but I like how John Carpenter kept this film a low key horror outing, where he could have "sensationalized" it as, after all, he did make "Halloween" and could have made it much gorier, but he chose to make it more in the classic style!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2013 06:00 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it,s a great film indeed,i got also the super 8 full leght and the dvd,i agree with Alan ,the color of the super 8 print it,s better,it,s a keeper in your collection...
it,s a timeless terror film.

regards;
luis caramelo

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in October I ran my print of the The Fog for my series of Scope horror films at the local library. Audience loved it...jumps and screams in all the right places. Used a GS1200 with f1.0 lens, Fuji lamp on a 16 foot wide screen painted with Steve Osborne's screen paint.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 03:11 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be the devils advocate, but derann (Agfa?) color stocks can lean pretty blue. My HORROR OF DRACULA print was much more cyan in appearance than I suspect was common to the original Technicolor prints.

That said, strong blues would work well for THE FOG, which I prefer to all Carpenter's other films.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 11, 2013 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the bluish cast to the color is not the fault of the film stock. I never ran into a bluish agfa print until Derann's printing of "fantasia 2000" ( a review of that title on this forum in the reviews), but until then, I always found Agfa Derann prints to be much better with overall color than with they're LPP prints of the same title.

There was a good example of that with a print of "Mary Poppins". Someone put up some screenshots of an LPP "Mary Poppins" and it was a fairly bluish print. Gian showed some screenshots of an AGFA printing (by Derann) of that very same title, and the colors were absolutely spot on!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2013 07:43 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think alot had to do with the lab Derann was using in the 2000's. I know of several instances during that period where prints were slightly different in colors, yet from the same negative print source.

James.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 01:49 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Derann VAMPIRE CIRCUS print from the mid-80's had the best definition and color I have ever seen on Super 8, but my 2001 HORROR OF DRACULA print was definitely blueish as were some of my cartoons from that time. In DRACULA it actually made peoples flesh-tones too pale, even the ones who weren't vampires. [Wink]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very unfortunate Timothy, as I have a print of DFS "DRACULA" and the colour is beautiful,well saturated with no hint
of a colour cast,as was "THE MUMMY" another great print that
proved that Eastmancolour was something to be reckoned with.
It's doubly sad, as it can't be rectified.Was it bought from them
direct at full price or was it reduced, because every now and then
if there had been a foul up at the lab, the faulty prints were often sold as such.I have the "Dracula print of Darkness", that was just a bit darker than usual, but shown through the Fumeo
it looks great, and at £80.00 at the time, I couldn't complain.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 01:08 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of DRACULA was purchased new, full-priced, but I still kind of liked it's blueish hue. I reminded me of Cinecolor a bit.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 04, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A second thread that reviews this film was started, so I'm closing this topic. That thread can be found here.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC