8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Master & Commander (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Master & Commander
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoW

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 18, 2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Double WoW. Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 19, 2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really super 8?
Naaaaaaaah... They fooled us... It can't be super 8... It's too sharp, fantastic colours, great texture...
[Big Grin]
Seriously, the best S8 image I have ever seen.
Triple Wow with wipped cream and a cherry on the top. Hats off to the Dudley gang.

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen the film, BUT, i WILL purchase this summer NO DOUBT...we need to support the super 8 hobby. I have heard great things about the film...I do have the score amazing. Any idea on price in dollars? also, very important, how is the striping? thanks in advance,rob

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 20, 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we are going to have to wait to see on price in $ but I would imagine it to be about the $600 mark. As for the stripe quality, well they better get that right or they will end up with a lot of returns. I heard at the BFCC that Derann now have 20 confirmed orders. [Smile]
I thought you only got pre orders with DVD releases these days [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 20, 2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And when can we expect our own personal M&C prints?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 20, 2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man... There is so much talk about the quality of this print I'm beginning to want a trailer, just to see it for myself. I can't possibly afford the full movie for a while (perhaps I'll be lucky and used copies start showing up on eBay next year... that is, in case any of the 20 who preordered it decide they want to trade it in for another purchase [Wink] ) ... So, uh, will there be a trailer? And will it be flat or in scope? (Please make it flat [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 03:45 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, Don’t hold your breath for a copy on ebay. I am still waiting for Spiderman. As for Master & Commander, I can confirm that this is by far one of the best quality prints Derann have released in a long time.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 21, 2005 05:51 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a copy of spiderman on Pual fosters list, don`t know if its still about.
Best Mmark.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 21, 2005 06:25 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention Spiderman... I didn't know until a couple days ago that one was even out on super-8, and guess where I saw it?

Foster Films. [Smile]

EDIT, I just realized Mark already mentioned Paul Foster - I was reading too fast again. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 07:24 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Mark [Wink]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 22, 2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan

The trailer has been available from Derann for ages - since soon after the film was released. I'd certainly recommend it, although I would not like to say that it's sharp as the feature will be. It certainly won't disappoint you, though, and it's flat, with some masking.

Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 22, 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pass... But thanks anyway. [Smile]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 23, 2005 05:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, no problem, but what made you change your mind - you said you wanted one earlier!

Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2005 10:13 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Money, for one thing. [Big Grin]

The other is, you say the trailer isn't quite as good as the full feature... so if I don't really get to see how good the feature looks... then what's the point [Eek!]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 24, 2005 04:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Jan, save up the pennies (cents sorry) and go for the feature [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 24, 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually considering just that [Wink] and to think I've never even seen M&C but sure heard quite a few good things about it. What could be better than seeing a new film for the first time on super-8? ... Alas, it must take a back seat to my wife's car (pun intended) for it needs a new transmission and her mechanic is looking for one to put in... No idea yet how much that's going to set us back. [Frown]

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it a full feature?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 25, 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, every last minute of it [Smile]

Kev

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2005 04:39 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from Derann or CHC? I don't find it on that sites.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 26, 2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Derann. It's not ready to be sold yet but pre-orders are being taken. While the website indeed makes no mention of M&C, their mailed catalogue (the May issue, which was my first) does. Last I heard they had a mute test print which was shown at the latest BFCC with THX surround sound from a DVD synced to the GS1200. [Smile]

And, uh, corrections welcome...

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 27, 2005 01:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, Jan.
All of us who attended the BFCC screening are stunned by the quality of this print (and the first reel was indeed shown in sync with THX sound).
See our various reports somewhere else on the Forum.

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 07:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the cannon fire was so realistic it managed to take out the rear right speaker. Must have been the shrapnel.

I've now repaired the speaker and it only cost £45 to do so. End result is that this convention didn't cost me too much - only about £80 in total. I even think Keith more than covered the cost of staging it with the attendance and the number of dealers. But if there is anything left you can be sure he'll be scanning the lists for titles that may interest us collectors at future events. And of course a couple of the projectors used need repairs. The Xenon 35mm will probably end up being at least £1,000 as the lamps are not available which means a new power supply, lamp holder and lamp is required.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 28, 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John I don't see why you and Keith should have to bear any of the costs of staging the BFCC. Perhaps you need to raise the admission fee and dealer fee's to totally cover all your costs.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2005 03:39 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not that bothered really Paul. I'm only involved because I love the hobby and want to promote it as much as possible; well, as best we can anyway. A bit of outlay is worth it and I'm spending far less on it now than previously. I wonder how many reading this can remember that enormous screen we put together at the Top Hat Club about 12 years ago? 34ft across we projected onto that. Well that was all just money down the drain for a one off "Stereo/'Scope Spectacular". It was really a response to some moaning minnies claiming our screen was too small (it was 18ft!!!).

Believe it or not people do even complain about the current £5 admission fee. Increasing it would endanger some of them coming along. And we need collectors there to purchase the odd item or piece of equipment off the dealers. Without that the dealers won't attend. Without the dealers the collectors won't attend (not an entirely accurate summary but I hope everyone gets the picture). All hangs by a thread really.

I wonder if there's any news on the progress of the Master and Commander feature release. 20 pre-orders in today's market is an amazing achievement. But I suppose £350 for a 2 hour 18 minute film has to be the best value in real terms ever offered on a Super 8 release.

Jan, by the way, the trailer to this film also available from Derann is outstanding quality. Sharp as tack. Just a bloody awful, typical modern trailer commentary to slightly spoil it.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC