8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "Mines of Moria" Review Request

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Mines of Moria" Review Request
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody review the Lord of The Rings Fellowship extract? It's the Mines Moria scene. If not I might pick up a copy.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2005 03:00 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Wilton reviewed it in "Film For The Collector". Sounds like you need to subscribe but in the meantime here's a summary of my own...

Very dark print but very good sound. Particularly dodgy digital effects; non-coherent plot and altogether one of those rare recent Super 8 releases I don't have in my collection. A complete reel from the feature as I recall. The review print had sound 93 seconds out of sync' but this of course was an abberration.

However, if I'd have liked the film at all that would have been a different matter. If you're an enthusiast of the film then it's worth the purchase. If you're not then Derann have plenty of better extracts on their shelves with better print quality.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, not so long ago I would have totally agreed with your sentiments. Personally, when I first saw "Fellowship of the Ring" at the cinema my only lasting memory was that of my very numb bum!

It was my sister who dragged me to see the next two movies; having seen them about four times already, she had couldn't persuade anyone else to go with her!

I relented and I'm glad I did. To be honest, I couldn't at first understand her fascination with these films, but I've always trusted her judgment in the past so I finally gave them a go.

These movies can be hard work, but given a couple of viewings there is so much to discover.

I realised I actually really liked these films when she persuaded me to put on a Lord of the Rings day at home, showing all three movies in DLP and Dolby Digital all in one go!

Ironically, when I mentioned that you could buy 20 minutes or so of "Fellowship of the Ring" on super 8, it was her that got all excited and came with me to the next film convention to buy a copy!

So there you are, another super 8 convert. Technically the 400ft 'Scope/Stereo super 8 version of "Mines of Moria" belongs to my sister, but it resides in my film collection and gets a screening every time she visits! Although I must admit I may have watched it once or twice when she isn't there!

It's an unusual extract running as it does as one complete reel from the middle of the feature, but as you say the sound is excellent, the print is sharp (if a little dark) and all the characters and humour of the feature films are there. It's an extract that really does get better each time you view it!

What a unique souvenier of these tremendous movies.

Forget all other formats. Order and enjoy the super 8 version while you can!!!

Go on John, give it another go [Smile] !

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie,

While I agree with John that the prints are on the dark side (also a touch on the blue side) the "Mines of Moria" extract has had more showings in my household than almost any other film in my collection. I would caution that since this is a scope print, a brighter bulb (150w +) makes a big difference.
The extract starts with the fellowship arriving at the west gate of Moria and then figuring out the password to gain entrance. Before they go inside , the group is attacked by an multi tentacled aquatic creature. After escaping that threat, Gandolf must figure out which of three corridors will lead them out. It's at this point that they realize Gollum has been trailing them.
Upon arriving at a chamber, they discover that the previous inhabitants, the dwarves, have all been killed. A bit of clumsiness by Pippin alerts the Orcs to their presence and it's all action from then on.
As Rob said, this is a great souvenir from the feature. If you liked the trilogy, you'll appreciate watching your own Super 8mm copy on the big screen (or whatever screen you happen to have).

Doug

By the way, I used my super moderator powers to place the film's title in the topic heading for clarity.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback on the print [Smile] And Doug thanks for the title change. [Smile] I was also wondering, I never ordered from Derann or from Reel Image of Derann prints, do the extracts come in boxes with covers etc? Like the old digests did? Besides the quality of the print, which takes priority for me, I also look for the cosmetic aspects like those nice clamshell cases that MGM and 20th Century did.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2005 03:27 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the boxes are just plain white things. Occasionaly there's a label on them but not often very exciting. Classic are doing better efforts on the new James Bond extracts and Derann have a very nice colour label ready for the Master and Commander feature.

Rob and Doug, one day I'll doubtless give Lord of the Rings another try but I can't see it happening soon. I'm sure I'll really enjoy them when I get round to it. I was just so disappointed with that first offering (bored sick more like) that I really can't face the follow-ups. However, I still viewed the Super 8 extract with my usual Super 8 enthusiasm. Sadly I even found the extract a bit dull. But as I said, if you're a Lord of the Rings enthusiast... No better souvenir of the film is there?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does classic have a web site? I'd like to get some Bond extracts. [Smile]

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 31, 2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, give this a try:

http://valueservices.org/classichomecinema/

The LOTR's extract looks very good on a xenon machine. I was really quite surprised just how much detail there is in those very dark scenes. It not a bad extrat to have from the feature and I think it would be good to see some more from perhaps the other two films which followed. Picture is nice and sharp for a scope print.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very excited about this extract from LOTR's, but i must admit i was not impressed with what i saw. Way too dark, lack of detail and a definite copy of a print look about it. Not a print i would consider even though LOTR's is one of my top 10 favourite films. This of course may have been amplified by the BFCC 24ft screen and may possible look better as Kev has suggested on a Xenon projector on a more moderate screen size, but so would a lot of prints.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the input [Smile]
Yeah, there are some other extracts I'd like to get first. I'm just curious, I've never bought any prints on super 8 of anything post 1980. Have there been improvements in the prints? Any signs of fade from a at least 5 year old print? By the way in case you're wondering, I haven't bought any new prints from Derann etc because most of them are scope. But now I have a lens and thanks to Chip I'll soon have a good projector [Smile]

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie,
On the whole, post 1980 prints are better than earlier ones, in some cases a lot better. Anything that Derann have printed since about 1985, as well as some earlier releases, is on low fade stock, so no problems in this respect fading. As for more recent digests, I'd recommend the GLADIATOR Battle of Carthage sequence if you like the film. Great extract about 12 mins long and a pretty sharp print with excellent colour.
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

with you on that choice and I also like their Pearl harbour extract

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2006 05:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i am with tony and adrain on their comments reguarding gladiator and pearl harbour two reelers.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my lord of the rings extract yesterday.Once again Derann have come up trumps.A good two reeler.I know now why Derann are the largest super8 dealer..They give us what we the collector wants.Andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my lord of the rings extract yesterday.Once again Derann have come up trumps.A good two reeler.I know now why Derann are the largest super8 dealer..They give us what we the collector want.Andy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC