8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Elstree Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Elstree Story
Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2005 04:59 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This release dates back to the late 70's. Released by Derann at the time when they were releasing some the Ealing films as well. These releases were slightly abridged due to conditions at the time if my memory is correct.
The Elstree Story is slightly short of the original running time, but I have not seen this film in the cinema or on television. It was released on 3 x 400ft reels so can be spooled up onto 1200ft with space to spare.
The film starts with the original censor certificate and original titles. The tour starts with a young Richard Todd speaking to us and leading us into the story of Elstree. We are then handed over to various people working at the studio the preview projectionist, makeup lady, etc. There are lots of silent clips from early productions like Charles Laughton's first film in Piccadilly with Anna May Wong. Then to Alfred Hitchcocks first sound film Blackmail. A early sound film called Number 17 involving a spectacular train crash. This follows more sound film clips to many to list here but contains musicals with Richard Tauber, Comedy's like Just William and Drama's like poison Pen with Flora Robson. Towards the end of the film we return back to a film in production and then back to Richard Todd and his final words promoting Elstree.
This print is realy top quality taken from I beleave a 35mm master with a soundtrack to match.
Made in 1950 in Black & White this super 8 print has a running time of appox 45 min, and dispite the cuts on the original running time it does not show. Worth a look out on secondhand film lists.

[ August 12, 2005, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Colin Robert Hunt ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC