8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Fame (2 x 400")

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fame (2 x 400")
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 06:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will not write a long review since I am not a native english speaker.

I bought this before just for my fun and to accompany my other favourite stuffs for the sake of shipping cost. I was understimate it firstly, but having seen this 2 x 400 abridged version, I was so satisfied by the good editing result.

Watching this 30 minutes show was so so enjoyfull since songs were presented full, not like Grease and Saturday Night Fever (SNF) where sometime only half of the songs. Despite this is two parter only vs three parter of Grease and SNF from Marketing, the flow of the story is smoother. Three parter Grease and SNF (BTW I have the Germany version) were ended in sudden without conclution.

Fame has also good color too.

This is my post of my underestime expression when FAME was bought.

I don't have the original cover for this, I will appreciate if someone can scan it in full size and send that to winberthutahaean @ yahoo.com (delete space)

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2005 07:08 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive also noticed this as well that marketing print cutdowns, even the 3x400', seem to be missing the end titles. This could only be a cost cutting factor, but is dissapointing because marketing had some top film titles like the first two Godfather films.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, scans of covers are on their way... [Wink]
Are you still looking for "The Warriors" covers?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 04:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Graham on the dissapointing endings to many marketing 3 x 400fts. I remeber Bill Davidsons reviews on these films . Who remebers the first batch of marketing filmsi.e, SNF,godfather,barracuda etc, they recieved so many complaints that they produced Paramount logo's to spice onto the starts. You just had to send an SAE and we gor three.. [Razz] .
Other than this gripe the 3x400footers were very good. Indeed, the second batch of titles (inc the Warriors, The hunter, Escape from Alcatraze) had amazing picture quality with no sign of any negative sparkle what so ever.If only they paid the damm royalties there'd have been more isuspect. [Mad] [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another dissapointment with Grease and SNF was the editor sometimes pitched one octave higher in the middle of the song to give the impression that the song is finished. It's so funny, for people who know exactly the notes.

In fact, I bought SNF from my friend who tought that his three reels were incomplete. [Razz]

Jean, yes I badly need the Warriors, I have sent a PM to you. Thanks for FAME.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 04, 2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'D still like to get my hands on a feature of Warriors. Good movie,

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2005 02:44 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing didn't have the rights to the front and end titles for the edited versions of the films. Seems ridiculous but that was the way it was back then, hence the pathetic letraset titles.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 08, 2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Could you be more specific when you're saying Marketing didn't have the rights to the front and end titles for the edited versions of the films? and WHY?

How was the copyrights system at that time?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi- I'll adress the Marketing statements first, then the original subject, "Fame".

I think, for the most part, Marketing did best at releasing full length features, rather than digests. When watching a Marketing digest, you can tell that the editors were not as skilled as the other top U.S. super 8 companies at that time (Ken/MGM, Universal). The only Marketing digest I remember using original titles was "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and maybe "Baraccuda" (I'll have to check that one). As mentioned previously, the "Warriors" digest really took a loss without the original credit scene, since it was an essential part of the movie. Now, on to "Fame"....

Winbert, this is one of my favorite digests. I agree that it flows VERY well. And ALL of the hit songs are included-

Reel #1-Red Light (great dance scene), Dogs in the Yard (partial song, but well done), and Hot Lunch.

Reel #2- starts with Fame (the famous street dance in Times Square),then, my favorite, when the beautiful Irene Cara sings the hit "On My Own", then a solo "Is It OK if I Call You Mine". Then, a special bonus, the scene in the movie theater where the crowd watches "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (we had this wild show for years in D.C. too), and we get a little of the song "Doin the Time Warp" from that movie. Then, the fabulous grand finalee, "I Sing the Body Electric", where all of the performers come together.

This digest doesn't have time to get in to all of the sub-plots (and there were a lot of them), but instead, the editor concentrates on the music, and is still able to capture some of the atmosphere and feeling from the comlete movie.

Nick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2005 04:41 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't be more specific Winbert. Things were different back then. Look at the trouble Derann had with the opening titles of "Carrie". The lab had to airbrush over the shot of Sissy Spacek naked to avoid breach of her contract but still keep the title that was laid over her to avoid breaching the contract on the titles.

Like I said it all seems ridiculous but remember Super 8 extracts were the first form of movie mass entertainment for the home market and so it was all new in those days, hence some of the stupid contracts.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 10, 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pity about the markettin missing bits, on the first batch of titles they all did have original titles, all be it, extremly fast and brief, the second batch of titles improved on an already good quality product but as you say, ALL the titles were replaced by crabby letrasets.
Mind you, i recently bought the 3x400 version of the Hunter which as you probably know was Steve McQueens last movie and this film does have some of the original titles [Confused]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening of Carrie was airbrushed?? They must have done a good job, because I never noticed it. I sold my print a loooong time ago. I thought Derann did a very nice job with the opening scene though- the volleyball game, where Carrie is hit and ridiculed, then the locker room/shower scene, and that terrific score by Pino Dinagio. It flowed nicely. This is another example of how a pre-credit and original credit scene can be so important to a movie. Imagine if Marketing had released it instead- blue and white title cards, then, Carrie's in the principle's office with blood on her shorts. Oops! Getting off the subject again.........

Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC