8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 09, 2005 11:59 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this print through Steve here on the forum. And it is really a great one. The picture is very nice and sharp but what really surprised me was the sound. Very nice indeed! Round and clean. Not as good as a re-record but great if you dont have the facilities.
I remember seeing this one in the theatre in the re-release and one of the reasons I got this print is because the ones on Video/DVD have been cleaned up and restored. While this is good for some things it is bad for others. The animators at Disney were very angry at the restoration because they said that the "clean up" had erased some of their well thought out shadows!
So I wanted a copy unaltered. This is a great print and one that I know I will be keeping.

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 10:15 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a stunner, I have a print as well.

Although, I will not understand why the reel change cues (Medallions)have been removed???? [Confused]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rik

I'm pretty sure that Derann's prints are from the restored negative sorry to say... I also am pretty sure that the sound was re-recorded on that print - but I'm not sure.

I've got a 16mm IB Tech print of "Snow White" and it looks nothing at all like the restored prints. It's amazing how different the colors are, and the light and dark shadows. It's like watching two different films. One scene that really stands out is the scene where the dwarfs come into the room where Snow White is sleeping -- the room is very dark in the restored version, but much lighter with all sorts of shadows in the original...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 14, 2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
darn ya!...... [Frown]
It still looks great! I dont own the DVD so I can't tell the difference. Hmmm...did they ever make a print from the original on Super 8? It is one of the reasons I wanted this print...

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea I'm afraid..

I don't remember what the Super 8 print looks like (haven't watched one in ages) so I can't be 100% sure that it's the restored version... If you post some screen shots of the sequence where the dwarfs enter the room and find Snow white sleeping there, I can probably tell you from that...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, the Derann print is beautiful.

But try finding an IB Tech print. That is a rare species.

The tech prints have subtleties, that are lacking in all subsequent prints today.

quote:
Yes, now for the first time on DVD: Snow White and the 7...
height challenged men.

I think that was how they promoted it for the public? Oh, I'm sorry it's just that they airbrushed out the medallion film cues, and cleaned away the dust particles on the cells as well as the emotional impact that this classic film makes.

Tech prints make you cry. And I don't mean from the high cost of one turning to vinegar. They are unique works of art.

Does that indicate that the Derann film is not worth while? Of course not.
It's just a beautiful representation of a Rembrant. Otherwise, you will never know the difference, and neither will children and adults that watch it today.
An entire generation that will not share in the beauty of animation, and it was all done with human hands!

But oh that caldron of witches brew. Colorful and scary.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC