8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BROADWAY DANNY ROSE (Woody Allen) Super 8 optical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BROADWAY DANNY ROSE (Woody Allen) Super 8 optical
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 15, 2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a review that I have been looking forward to for a long time, as it is a favorite of mine and I confess that I am a dyed in the wool Woody fan!

This film, made in 1984 (I believe) was still within the period of Woodys golden years, that period when he could litterally do no wrong cinematically. It starred Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, a number of others I can't remember at the moment, as well as a cameo of Uncle Miltie himself, Milton Berle! This was one of Woody's sepia (colored black and white) tone films that he was doing during that period of time, not color.

Woody plays a, for the most part down and out promoter/agent. he usually has a lot of no luck wanna be acts, one of which is a sliding downhill quick ex lounge singer who went to seed. Woody stomps the pavement in a mjor way to get bookings for him and finally makes some headway, even getting a sopt for him at a big nightclub, where Milton Berle sees him and gets him major bookings, but right when Woody gets him in the bigtime, the slob of a singers leaves Woody for a bigtime agent.

Woody does come out on top however, as the girlfriend of the singer trades in the singer for Woody, the Girlfriend played by Mia Farrow, (in those great ever present sunglasses).

This was perhaps Woodys best ever performance before the camera, playing just the kind of character that you'd expect Woody to be in actual life!

There is one thing about this print that any collector of super 8 optical sound would have to admit very happily, this is by far the best transfer I have EVER SEEN on super 8! This even includes Derann prints! Honest to God, you really think you are watching a GOOD 16MM print! This is no over estimate, and I'm sure that those who own this print will chime in on that.

I think perhaps it miht be because this isn't a color print. For some reason, a sepai or black and white tends to have a greater sharpness. "Purple Rose of Cairo" another Woody film on super 8mm opticakl sound, is a color print, and thought it is exceptional as well, it still doesn't hold a candle to the clarity of sharpness this has. Extrememly fine grain, and it really is a testament as to just how sharp and beautiful super 8 can be and RARELY, truly, is!

Sorry foir the shortness of this review. I'll add to it in the future, but I'm off to work!!

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!!! (even if on life support)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 12:14 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that well written review Osi! I'm a bit of a Woody fan myself. Although I prefer his "Bananas"-era movies, I also enjoy his 80's material. This is one of the few that I haven't seen yet, so I guess I'll have to settle for a DVD rental on seeing this one.

In fact, you've inspired me to write a review on one of my favorite 400 foot digests- the only Woody Allen movie to be commercially released on super 8....What is it.....(Coming Soon)

Nick.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Purple Rose of Cairo and Broadway Danny Rose are two of Allens wonderful tributes to Show Business. I also love Radio Days, and it comes from that era as well.

What's interesting about all of Allen's films is that he plays homage to all movies that he has ever seen. Manhattan Murder Mystery is extremely good.
If you love 30's Musicals, and the Marx Bros., check out the feature: Everyone Says I Love You.

The earlier features as Bananas, pokes fun at Battle Ship Poetemkin. The run away baby carriage down the steps is totally bananas!

Small Time Crooks is partly based upon Larceny Inc. The love story subplot, is from a Warners 'B' Picture starring Olivia DeHavilland.

Broadway Danny Rose has humor, irony and subtle touches, along with a poignant performance by Allen. It's mixed with a running narrative by successful Comic Veteran showbiz types, who reminisce about Roses' unsuccessful show biz agent career, shooting for the big time.

Those that remember Will Jordan, the Ed Sullivan impersonator / impressionist, delightful in his part as one of the NYC Carnegie Deli regulars.

Both prints are wonderful in S8.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 21, 2005 11:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your additional info Micheal. I am also a fan of "Curse of the Jade Scorpion" , which I personally think is one of his better films of the last ten years or so. When ever he does a "period piece", he fares quite well. I hope he may be starting to slow down though, as it seems to be a pattern he has of making a film litterally every year, which has brought his quality level down in recent years.

Yes, both super 8 opticals (Broadway Danny Rose, Purple Rowe of Cairo) are beautiful prints and I was lucky enough to get some pristine copies. Hey, a question. Does anybody know out there in forum land if there were any other Woody Allen features released in super 8 optical sound? Since they were being massed produced since the early 70's or so, for the airlines, it's certianly a possibility.

--------------------

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed my airline print of "Brodaway Danny Rose" again this evening (we were celebrating Woody Allen's 70th birthday somewhat delayed in our home cinema). Boy, I really wanted all my 16MM PRINTS were that sharp!

Eberhard

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 12, 2005 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. I would die to know what film lab made that print. The 35mm master for that must have been spectacular. People who haven't seen that film on super 8 optical would really be shocked at just how crisp that image is!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Indeed, it is very crisp.
Osi, I remembered that Woody Allen pays tribute to Miracle on 34th St. in
Broadway Danny Rose.
He uses the same location to shoot the Macy's Thanksgivings Day parade, as they did in Miracle on 34th St.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC