8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Disney's Hunchback/Notre Dame.super8.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney's Hunchback/Notre Dame.super8.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2006 05:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
does any member have the above title.i would like to read their review of this.whats the print like and stereo sound.

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2006 03:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, I love this film.

For me, it represents the pinnacle of Disney's come back through the 1990's as they re-invented their animated movies as Broadway-style musicals. Whilst perhaps not the most perfect of the crop, it is certainly the most daring as Disney finally tried to give a more adult edge to it's animation (still hard to believe that the "Hell's Fire" sequence is Disney!)

A shame that they have since regressed to drab formulaic films.

Anyway, I digress!

I have one of the early super 8 prints and have to say in this case it is just about the best super 8 image you are likely to see. From Disney's negatives, this Derann print is razor sharp with absolutley beautiful colour. It really is a stunner!

Printed full frame, the edges of the original 1.85:1 ratio are slightly cropped, but you'd never notice. One part of my copy does suffer slightly from sideways weave but this is the slitting of the print and not built into the negative (as we all know, each print is different!)

The stereo sound is booming. This is such a rich and complex soundtrack to reduce to super 8 stereo, but those little mag. stripes do a decent job and whilst it isn't always the clearest sound, it does always remains "big" and impressive. Again, one part of my copy was a little dull sounding, but a re-record by Derann produced a much sharper quality, which suggests that the actual sound masters are very good indeed.

There are a few background bass pops and bumps on some sections. I've heard this on a few of the Disney's but it is difficult to tell if they are on the master or a result of the sound stripe. I don't think they are too distracting. Certainly all prints are produced with Derann's own post-applied stripe (mine has the early orange coloured stuff).

My advice is find yourself a copy and enjoy [Smile]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the review it looks like im gonna have to start saving my pennies.cheers andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 12:57 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a wonderful Disney feature and I love it so much just treated myself to the soundtrack CD so we can all sing along to ‘Topsy Turvy’ in the car.

Print quality: Astounding 100%
Stereo Sound quality and imagery 100%
Pure magic and a fine example how good Super 8 film can be.
Thanks Derann Films.

Ev'rything is upsy daysy!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 14, 2013 03:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just by accident I've seen a late (2009)Derann "Hunchback" print. My wife bought me "Toy Story" and by mistake "Hunchback" showed up instead.

For our troubles, we gave it a look and a listen before we sent it back to Dudley.

The sound wasn't very good at all: kind of muddy. This was very late in the gray stripe era. I don't know if a re-recording could have fixed it, but if I'd paid bust-out retail for that print I wouldn't have been very pleased!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 15, 2013 07:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that Steve. I did re record mine have to say as I usually do like to sqeeze everything out of the stripe possible. Nice film.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 15, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

The good news for me is the print was kind of a...rental and it went back to Derann. I don't know if two orders got swapped at shipping or they printed the wrong one for me in the first place. I watched the used lists for a while, but it never turned up there.

So if anybody out there ordered "Hunchback of Notre Dame" in late 2008 or early 2009: thanks for the show. (Hope you enjoyed Toy Story!)

PS: Toy Story's sound is better: still kind of bassy...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC