8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » the mummy 5x400ft spools.88mins.super8mm.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the mummy 5x400ft spools.88mins.super8mm.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
heres my view on hammers 1959 colour version of the old mummy films from the30s&40s.this was hammers third monster moviefollowing frankenstein and dracula and what a pleasure it is.we open with an dig in the year 1895.a group of british archeollogists discover the tomb of the princess ananka(yvonne furneaux),and in doing so unlease the mummy kharis(christopher lee).we move forward three years to 1898.one of the archeologists steven banning has gone mad,his son john banning(peter cushing)is more than surpised when his father asks for him.john dismisses his fathers warnings.that night the mummy brought to england by high priest(george pastell)breaks into the home and kills banning snr.we then moved to were john and his uncle(raymond huntley)talk of the ananka tale.we witness what happen 4000 years ago when kharis trys to bring back to life his beloved princess.for his sins he gets buired alive and his tongeis removed.however this is not the end of the story because bannings uncle dismisses the same story and heads of to bed.just as he is about to climb the stairs the doors are smashed in and hes killed at the bottom of the stairs.john comes out of the study and takes serveal shots at the mummy as it walks away.the police think john banning is crazy so he decides to go it alone.johns wife isobel(yvonne furneaux)trys to convice john to get help from the police or someone.that night the mummy breaks into the banning home and confronts john.as banning gasps for air isobel comes into the study and screams.the mummy stops looks up and in amazement walks toward isobel,his arms held outward.the mummy goes away andsoon the police arrive on the scene.meanwhile the high priest thinking that john banning has been killed makes plans to return home.thereis a ring at the door,and the high priest is more than surpised to see banning standing at his door step.they have a conversation after which banning knows that the priest is controlling the mummy.a trap is set.willthe mummy be defeated?.this was hammers third classic monster based on the old universal monsters of the past and its one of their best.there is flawess peformances from all involed tight direction from terence fisher and beauifully made.what about the quailty of this super8 print.i can say its very good with a little print damage on reel four.defination is spot on;the sound although mono is clean.a must for horror fans and it showns what hammer did in its heyday.great companion to the curse of frankenstein and dracula aka horror of dracula.those three titles are availble from derann.cant praise the mummy to highly.now perhaps someone will review frankenstein/dracula to complete the trio.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2006 01:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, Whose release? Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2006 04:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
the mummy(1959)is available from derann.of course.who else.andy.thats the three classic hammer horrors that derann have released.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2007 11:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well anyone got The Curse of Frankenstein-full lenght to review.That would be the three classic movie monsters on this forum.Over to you now guys.Andy.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2007 11:10 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my two cents worth here on The Mummy. I just received a used copy(May 4, 2007)...and can tell you, without any equivocation that this print is simply gorgeous....sharp as a tack..with some of the best color rendition of any super 8 print I've ever seen. Rich full sound....rock steady image. Peter Cushing's blue eyes show beautifully, even in medium shots. That's how clear this print is. Pre print seems to be nearly perfect IB tech or equivalent. Derann still sells it and it's a showcase for Super 8.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2007 06:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have the original "Mummy" feature from 1932 starring Boris Karloff? I have heard that CHC released this as a feature, and I'd love to hear a review of this classic version of the Mummy.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2017 11:58 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Hammer Films ... THE MUMMY on Super 8mm has great colour
indeed for 8mm.

Still I wonder how it would look on 16mm.

Do any of you have a print on 16mm ?

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC