8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Night of the Living Dead

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Night of the Living Dead
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 22, 2006 01:11 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just finished re-recording Night of the Living Dead into STEREO! Welll simulated i think..i just transferred the DVD. Now I originally ordered the DVD from the UK so I could use the Sync Box. However the DVD I got is a horrible version that all of you should stay away from! Its from a company called Oracle Home Entertainment. They replaced the original music and added their own. And its truly horrible!! Bad synth stuff.
So I ended up having to use an NTSC DVD. Which meant every 10-12 minutes I would lose sync and have to start again from a quiet point. It is definitely worth it however. And another interesting thing about the Super 8 film is that it is even a few frames or so longer than the DVD version! At one point It lost sync and I noticed that the DVD had some content removed!!! Only a few seconds but still..the Super 8 version is the more COMPLETE version. Take that DVD!! [Smile]
The quality of the picture is excellent. There are some scenes that are a tad bit washed out but overall the picture gets a 8 for quality.
The sound on this copy had attempted to be re-recorded so i cant comment on how good the original sound was.
The content is still pretty chilly and effective. I sat here doiing the dub and the scene with the little girl at the end who kills her mother with the spade is still creepy stuff.
Great film and I am happy to have this in my collection!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 22, 2006 10:01 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rik,

That's great! Re-recording NOLD has been on the back burner for awhile (along with a thousand other projects). One thing that's made me hold off is the hope that I would find a good print. I've gotten three poor quality prints off eBay. Two had awful contrast (the opening titles are barely legible), one was out of sync, and one had audio bleed through (you can hear the previous shot's audio faintly in the background).

I believe that Anchor Bay put out a 30th anniversary edition DVD in 1999 that added a new musical score. Perhaps yours was the export version of that monstrosity.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
not bad eh rik for old tech stuff.TAKE THAT DVD.SUPER8MM FOREVER.andy.p.s surely the director what have had a say on the content of the dvd.how that company was aloud to release that classic chiller is beyound me.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2006 06:16 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

[ March 05, 2012, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 11:00 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe's right-

There are several movies that are listed on this review site "multiple" times (Master and Commander, Matrix, etc) and it would be nice if titles of identical headings for review could be grouped together [Wink] (just to keep things tidy [Cool] )

Thanks moderators!

Nick.

[ May 04, 2006, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: James N. Savage 3 ]

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 01:31 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a poopy Niles print and replaced it with a much more respectable Red Fox Films print. Who had the best I wonder since soo many put it out? Thunderbird claimed to be working from some sort of pre-print material, and I was always tempted, but couldn't bare the idea of buying NOTLD a third time to find out.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DeMaio Film Service print is the best one I've seen....  -

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of them? Did they do their own work, or were they a distributor?

So far Niles, Red Fox, Thunderbird, Reel Images, Select Film...I suppose it would be easier to list those that didn't offer NOTLD.It sounds like a lot of these places obtained prints from the same labs, but I think Niles and Thunderbird PD titles are home cooked. Judging by the quality I wouldn't be surprised if Niles stuff wasn't primarily made from dupe-negs of other distributors 16 and 8mm positives.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2012 06:01 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy- add Hollywood Film Exchange to your list of distributors of NOTLD! I saw several different prints from them, and my print as well. The strange thing was that some reels looked very good, and others didn't. Plus, some would come with scratches on the print.

Years later (in the 80's), my friend and I combined reels from 3 different prints to make one good quality print of this movie!

I never did figure out which distributor released NOTLD on super 8 with the original "WALTER REED ORGANIZATION" logo on the front. Those prints are more rare. (You can Google that for more info from Wikipedia- interesting reading).

James.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Niles print had a barely legible "Hollywood Film exchange" logo on the front. Maybe they were duping from their prints?

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 05:56 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes- my print also has the Hollywood Film Exchange logo. I'm surprised your Niles print had that too.

The Walter Reed logo had a more professional look, and had music as well. It was on all of the TV prints and theatrical prints back in the 60's and 70's.

James.

Tim Robinson-Ayer
Junior

- posted October 13, 2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Tim Robinson-Ayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of why there are so many prints of varying quality out there for this is that for a long time it was considered to be public domain. If my understanding of the story is correct Mr. Romero found some of the legal paperwork substantiating copyright while they were working on the deluxe laser disc that was released.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there hasn't been dozens Blu-ray releases of NOTLD the way there were in every other conceivable medium, maybe Romero or somebody found a way to nail it down again.

I always felt bad for Romero, it seemed like he got screwed over technicalities on this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC