8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Snow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snow
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 12, 2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Steve's review of Wildlife interlude reminded me of another of Derann's release.

Snow was originally a DCR release of a British Transport Films film. The DCR release however suffered from crossed curves due to the neg they used and gave green blacks and magenta highlights.
My DCR release was also printed on Eastman stock and started to fade so I decided to replace it with the Derann version.

Derann's doesn’t suffer form this problem of crossed colours as they have erred to the side of being a bit blue.

This is a film showing steam locos trying to get through the English countryside where the tracks are covered in snow drifts etc. The important thing about this film is the all music soundtrack, which starts off fairly slow but gets faster and faster all the way through to the end of the film. The scenes are cut to the music so towards the end of the film the scene cuts are very quick.
I for one am not into steam train films but this was one that I really have a soft spot for and it’s probably the music that did it for me. I first saw this film when it was released and shown at one of the very early BFCC conventions back in the 70/80's.

The Derann print is stunning, its sharp and the colour is very good considering that they are probably using the same neg or a copy neg from the DCR origination. This is a 200ft release and well worth adding to your collection as something different.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2006 06:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this one!

Not your typical railroad film: much more impressionistic in a way. Many short cuts to the rhythm of the music, rather than the long run pasts typical of the more railfan oriented films.

I love 200 footers! You can grab a whole bunch of them and cover many subjects in an evening, or pursue a theme if you'd like.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC