8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA Piccolo versus Disney

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA Piccolo versus Disney
Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Well, without a doubt one of the finest films from the 50's and the disney studios was 20,000 leagues under the sea. As a child growing up in the boom of super 8 releases in the 70's. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the 200 foot release from burbank..."MONSTER FROM UNDER THE SEA". Although it was action packed, Perhaps, I was spoiled by some of the other digests which gave an attempt at leading the viewer through some storyline. i was very disappointed at the lazy disney extractions. There were so many iconic images and visually stunning shots from the full length feature which I only dreamt of seeing and owning on film. oh well. All was lost, until one day...i asked my german connection..Andreas,Was there a 20,000 release in germany? OH YES! What i LOVE about the german release,like all piccolo releases,they retain a storyline and in 65 meters mind you! I loved the dialog and shots of Nemo looking through the glass into the sea. Obviously so did piccolo.
 -

Only a few minutes longer than the american release, but somehow piccolos editors captured the feel and emotional essence of the film. The film begins with the nautilus attacking a ship, then the main titles. Next were on board the great sub. With Nemo sharing his disappointment of mankind (my thoughts EXACTLY, But i digress)...

-

then..the attack of the giant squid. Here is where one can make use of the disney american release. There is less than 50 feet or so of the attack sequence on the Piccolo digest, so, you will be adding quite a bit of the squid segment with easy editing.....The piccolo print is MASKED for widescreen, but when edited together and projected...with ALL the action. One never has a chance to witness the difference. I was fortunate to have an EXCELLENT color print of the burbank release, since this piccolo film is SIMPLY stunning! Reds, yellows and the blues of the sea..are amazing! Digital will always pale next to film, and when one projects colors like this.......it showcases films strengths and the video formats weaknesses. After the attack, we head towards the island and the gun fire....Nemo is shot, The escape of kirk and company...MY favorite scene is nemo opening his window towards the sea for the final time.
 -

The reel ends with the escapees witnessing the explosion and the end of the great sub, The Nautilus. The print has German track, But, of course....What is a film if not in STEREO? I re-recorded my NEWLY edited 400 ft digest using the finest digital Laser disc...WOW! CRISP and CLEAR. Plus, as a bonus, I was able to use some music tracks from the original master tapes..which sound even better than the Laser. Final word. I'm obsessed with having the best picture and sound. And UNTIL this Disney classic is Available full length(very doubtful), YOU MUST find this sharp and beautiful Piccolo gem and edit away, record away. This has become 1 of my favorite pieces in my collection. it will become yours as well.

[ August 15, 2006, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Robert Aragon ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good review Robert of a fine film;AND IN STEREO TOO.nice.
Anyway Derann didn't release the full feature due to lack of
interest.I find that amazing,considering the great stuff Derann
have released.Well done Robert on re-recording in stereo with
the BEST sound quailty availble...LASER DISC.Andy.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 15, 2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Thanks for the amazing review. The passion you have for "20,000" really comes through. I'd love to do the same thing except that I have about 15 other re-recording projects that I've got to get to first!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 08:42 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks gents for your comments..funny as a child, The character of Nemo is what saved the film for me. i totally identify with him..i guess that is the passion for the film you sense. WHY MUST NEMO GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP? Had he survived, He would without a doubt be a member of this forum! Perhaps, he already is. Finding Nemo!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good review, and all for two x 200 Disney extracts! That was cool actually seeing a Disney digest from the golden era of super 8 in letterbox. It looked to be a sharp digest as well.
Much fun, I must say!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC