8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » MURDER BY DECREE UFA 2 X 400 FT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MURDER BY DECREE UFA 2 X 400 FT
Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

LONDON 1888. The whitechapel district is terrorized in the dead of night by jack the Ripper. Who can solve this horrorific series of ghastly murders? Sherlock Holmes and Sir Watson. WOW! This 1979 feature film is directed by Bob Clark who brought us the holiday classic Christmas Story. This is ONE great film.....loaded with some truly uncomfortable Jack the Ripper moments.
 -
The director used his dark vision to full potential here.
i am a bit of a Ripperologist, with that said. i assume to know what a good ripper film should be. This is one of them.
Andreas, my German super 8 connection, upon hearing of my jack the Ripper interest casually mentioned UFA released a 2 x 400 ft version. He asks "you know of this film?"
I replied....WHAT? I YELLED in excitement. Can you find it for me? I will try, it is hard to find. Than 2 months later....It's mine. Let me tell you, this IS worth tracking down. The digest runs over 36 minutes and UFA did an amazing job retaining the complex storyline.
 -

It's all here, the masonic conspiracy, the royal cover up...and murders, Sherlock holmes and Dr. Watson played by Christopher plummer and James Mason. Their touching relationship has been kept intact in this Digest. So many scenes of interest to point out..The sets and events have a historically accurate feel and look to them......Truly masterfully done. The colors on my print are SIMPLY flawless! i must thank Andreas For this. I give him my want list and he tracks the films down for me, and NEVER sends me a film that is NOT the finest quality. Color in particular. That IS important....and I HAVE to THANK HIM for this.
Anyway, one of the disturbing shots in the film, which i love,is incredibly shot and lit. It is the killing of Mary kelly, the last known victim of "jack". There is a slow advancing shot through a window as one hears moans of suffering. It is chilling in it's simplicity. Great dark storytelling.
 -

This Print is SHARP,with perfect contrast and gorgeous color. Bear in mind, these scans have a terrible automatic digital color "correction" ..the colors are not represented properly. The film was brilliantly shot with a murky gray lit set,adding suspense and a texture of uneasiness to the streets of whitechapel. The boxes are your standard THICK plastic super 8 400 ft with Graphics. The sound is in german...alas no STEREO track for this film. But, a GREAT mono re-recording and ready for showing. This will NOT DISAPPOINT!

[ August 16, 2006, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Robert Aragon ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,Where do you get those excellent movies to view.
Another one of my fav-raves.Andy.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Andrew,
All of my German Prints and films come from Andreas.. and his website is http://movies-and-sound.com/
If you do NOT see a film there...ask him to find it for you. he is really the best and most trustworthy of people. He just sold me a RARE 400 ft GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. He has so many films. I am going to review more of my rare german prints. hope the link works. yrs, Rob

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC