8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Where Eagles Dare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where Eagles Dare
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 19, 2006 11:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MGM 3/400ft running time 50min Colour/sound. Flat version.
Based on the novel by Alistair Maclean. released in the cinema in 1969. Starring Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood.

The opening titles are accompanied by the rousing score by Ron Goodwin, The story is of a top secret unit, their mission is to parachute into Bavaria to rescue General Carnaby "Robert Beatty" from a fortress known as the "Castle of Eagles". Of course General Carnaby isint really a general and three of Burton's colleagues that are parachuted in with him, turn out to be German agents "confused yet". The fortress, however,is well named and entry seems impossible. Disguised in German uniforms our five commandoes including Clint and there leader, Richard Burton, enter the nearby village, Burton also contacts two secret agents, Mary Ure and Ingred Pitt.
But their cover is blown and all are arrested Burton and Eastwood are driven away for interrogation, they soon escape from the speeding car against all odds. It is at this point that Clint opens his rucksack and produces the first of what is to be an inexhaustible supply of dynamite sticks, soon they are riding on the roof of the cable car, with their three other captured colleagues which are really German agents, to the Castle of Eagles "still with me" [Eek!] where all will be revealed their is so much action in this 3/400 footer and is one of the best edited digests ever released. Clint is in top form either stabbing, shooting, or blowing people up in his usual manner. I watched this film the other night, first time in years the print is still very good only slight fade in reels one and three and only noticeable in a few scenes if you like plenty of action "I do" and you can pick up a good print, then I would highly recomend it.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Thank you for the
review.
I always enjoyed the
feature, and it's good
to know that the
3x400 digest is well edited
and that it maintains the storyline.

About 30 years ago,
I had the pleasure in having
an English teacher that appreciated
film. He was able to rent a 16mm
30-40 minute extract from this feature
and it was great.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 23, 2006 02:17 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael
I was coming unstuck writing it. I soon realized their was so much happening, "twist and turns", to the story that it was going to be near impossible for me to write a full review. I do enjoy films that are not predictable, and with actors like Richard Burton the film excels itself.

Graham.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2006 11:43 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Richard Burton
was indeed, tops in his craft.

Speaking about Burton,
I never understood why
Warner Bros. cast Richard Harris
in the role that Burton created
in Camelot?

If it means anything,
it is a shame that he
was never honored with
an Oscar.

Burton is the Actor's - 'Actor'
because to me, it seems that
Anthony Hopkins is always
copying Burton.
Does this make Hopkins, the
poor man's Burton? This would
be an unfair description, but
then again,....Where Eagles Dare....

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,Hopkins is quite up front with his admiration of Burton's technique. Because Hopkins is the more consistent actor he has notched up more memorable films than poor old Richard did.(imo!) Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trev,

Good to learn the inside about
Hopkins on Burton.

Point well taken on
how his career manifested
successfully over the years.

Hopkins has taken on some
wonderful scripts, and turned
his characters into sparkling
cinematic moments.

Even in an action thriller
that may not have been
as popular: Bad Company- with
co-star Chris Rock,
Hopkins elevates himself
amongst his co-stars
and collegues alike.

Kind regards,
Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC