8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Rockets Roar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rockets Roar
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 01, 2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann's Rockets Roar is a 200 foot Cinemascope reel about the United States Department of Defense's output of missiles circa 1960 (British Board of Censors Certificate and all!)

It features any number of slow motion sequences of air to air missiles blasting target drones out of the sky and assorted military vehicles toting them around White Sands Missile Range.

Being that it was filmed in the desert, the color isn't spectacular, simply because there isn't a lot of color to work with in the desert anyway. The print I have is a little grainy here and there, but more than tolerable.

The sound track is literally booming! Don't play this one after you put the baby down for the night or you'll regret it!

This is truly a piece of historic film: it brings the viewer right into the middle of the Cold War when it felt like the only way to be safe was to be able the vaporize the other guy at the push of a button. I said "historic", not "nostalgic", since this is an era most of us were glad to escape without being vaporized ourselves. It is true to the tone of the times right down to a deep voiced narrator nasally intoning about defending the free world and minor key orchestral music complete with tympani for emphasis.

Do I like the film? Here and there. It's certainly nothing I sandwich between "Gone Nutty" and "Boundin'", but in its own way it is a powerful piece of film and interesting to see.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC