8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Future Generations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Future Generations
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 02, 2006 04:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the recent offerings from Derran. This is approx 3 mins, 100ft on a 200ft spool in colour, flat with mono sound.

The film is produced by the BBC promoting it's children's programmes.

A 5yr old lad takes viewers through a multitude of differnt childrens progs both old and present day and interacts with the characters. Everything from Noddy to Dr Who.
The reel finishes with a trailer for the Childrens Film Foundations release of the 1965 B/W feature "Runaway Railway"

I dont normally report on shorts like this but I have to say that this short really gave me quite a shock. If you want to see super 8 at its best then look no further. The colour is astounding, the contrast is spot on but the sharpness is the best I have ever seen on Super 8. It literally pops off the screen. The sharpness over the entire picture area is so crisp that you almost feel as if you are looking through a real window and could actually touch the characters.

Awsome is the word which comes to mind. I dont know what the origination was, but Derann....you have done a superb job.
The German labs produce wonderfully sharp prints but most often with muted colours. This has both astounding Sharpness and just the right, natural colour saturation.
And what of the sound...well its great. Well modulated, clear and punchy. An all round great job.
Even the B/W trailer at the end is Black and White and dont forget this is printed on colour stock.

Well done Derann...I love it. At £17.95 it's a must to demo super 8. Just keep them coming like this and we will be happy. [Smile]

Kev.

[ September 02, 2006, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2006 02:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Kev;i was reading about that trip down memory lane myself.
It seems to be very well done;with clips from BLUE PETER,BILL AND BEN,ANDY PANDY etc..!Good review of that release,well done.
Oh by the way Derann are still doing ESC lamps for the GS1200,but
at a price.They may have over-stocked and therefore have some left.
Your goodself stated that the ESC are no longer being made;in your view is it worth snapping the remaining ESC's up?.Andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 03, 2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite expensive. You could buy 3 EJLs instead.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2006 06:18 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin-

I had this on my list to do a review. As you stated, the colors are fantastic on this reel. What really amazed me was the "Runaway Railway" trailer. If I hadnt known it was color stock film, I would have thought it was on black and white stock. There is no color tint to this segment at all.

Derann- How do you do it????? [Smile]

Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC