8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Wizard Of Oz (MGM DIGEST)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wizard Of Oz (MGM DIGEST)
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2006 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must start by saying that I feel M-G-M really took pains with their digests to give you a quality product. Every one of their digests I have seen are the result of embracing a true care ethic and "Oz" is no exception. The "Over The Rainbow" is used over the whisping credits and we're with Dorothy for the last few stanzas of her signature tune. Then thew tempest hits and the house is lifted and hurled into Munchkinland. No footage of what Dorothy dreams she sees outside her window as she's inside the cyclone, but it is a digest , afterall. The munchkins and Glinda send Dorothy on her merry way down the yellow brick road after Miss Hamilton has her famous scene (during which she was severely injured) where she threatens Dorothy and Toto. We meet the Lion who sings his signature ditty (the scarecrow and tin man footage have been passed over much to my chagrin - sorry I just never liked Bert Lahr) and then it's off to Oz to have old spook-face tell them to terminate her. The monkees seize them, bring them to the castle, and they wind up doing just as Mr. Wizard requested. Next the great Oz hands them their rewards , Dorothy clicks her heels and we're back on the bed (in Sepiatown) and it all ends with Miss Garland's "...There's No Place Like Home" line. I have had to watch this several times this week because since my daughter spied me viewing it one evening and joined me - it's all she's wanted to do each night before going up to bed. My daughter is a toddler so 18 minutes is just perfect for her tiny attention span. I'm telling you M-G-M did a real nice job with this one. Sure there is alternate footage I would have rather seen, but isn't that how it is whenever we're watching a digest - we always say "...Gee, if I were editor, I would have gone with such-and-such scene(s)....". I have the two-parter NIGHT AT THE OPERA and SINGIN IN THE RAIN and I think they did a swell job with them, too. How is the HIGH SOCIETY two-parter? By far, the best Second digests are the M-G-M's Second are the U-8's, third worst worst third are the Columbia's (stupid narration gets in the way) and the worst being Ken - Ken's are just K-rap - even their 400'ers suck.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2006 02:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Brad.One thing though.Wasn't the Wizard of Oz a Ken
films super8 release.I do agree with you about the edting of
Ken digests...they are Crap.Andy.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2006 01:30 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, Andy. My box for "Oz" is most definitely M-G-M. However, you may be partially correct.... The M-G-M digests actually came from the same lab and printing house as the KEN releases, but it is beyond me how the same editing team can do so horribly with FOX and UNITED ARTISTS titles and yet do such an amazing job with METRO's product and the color is good on the M-G-M stuff but just horrendous on the KEN merchandise. Go figure...!?

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2006 04:59 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review.

This was the first 400 foot MGM digest I purchased when Ken/MGM Super 8 brought out those first 10 releases. I think it was one of their best sellers, and very popular and often requested for movie shows.

I agree that the editing is very smooth, and the story is told pretty well in 18 minutes.

The problem I have with this digest is that, with such a classic like Wizard of Oz, the scenes that arent there are really missed, as well as the character and emotional build up (yes, I always get choked up when Dorothy is saying good-bye to her new friends [Frown] ).

I'm not sure that even a three-parter could have really done this movie true justice. No, I'm not one of those people who are against digests at all. I LOVE THEM! But, some movies just dont work out as digests. I think this movie would have been better to be released by scenes, like the Disney super 8 releases at that time.

Nick.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was also my first digest. Loved it and watched it countless times. A couple years back, i purchased another print and re-recorded it into STEREO. Really improved the 400 footer. Love this film,in any form.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2007 08:58 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to pull this out and watch it last night to see how its held up through the years.

Watching this digest again after over 10 years, I had forgotten what a good job the editors of the MGM super 8 department had done with this classic. Even scenes that are heavily edited, like when the wizard is giving out the gifts. The editing is so smooth in this scene that the average viewer would not even know the scene was edited.

I just don't like that last scene switch from the wizard to Dorothy returning to Kansas. That is a bit abrupt, but I love the final scene where Dorothy says "Oh Aunty Em, there's no place like home". A perfect ending!

As for the colors-
There is some turning towards pink, but in most scenes, the colors still look good. For instance, in the forest, when the Lion is introduced, it looks like almost perfect colors. The black and white scenes seem to have suffered the most, with a pink look. But, in spite of this, the picture itself looks very good.

Great digest!

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 18, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

In terms of color, some MGMs also suffer from fade such as SINGIN IN THE RAIN and HIGH SOCIETY for instance.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 07:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt that the MGM digest were also a little soft in the sharpness department especially when you compare them to the feature releases of Derann's.

The early prints of this title by Derann are excellent.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 2 x 400ft digest's of 'Singin' in the Rain' and 'High Society'. They are both great digests, edited very well, as they focus almost entirely on the great musical numbers. Sadly, both of these prints have faded to almost pink. But I do have the feature length versions of both these films from Derann, and as Kev notes the prints are MUCH sharper and the color(on Agfa stock)has not faded at all.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC