8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE-17mins.1x400ft.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE-17mins.1x400ft.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2006 04:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
This 1951 movie is based on the novel by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer.This was originally to be produced by Cecil B.DeMille in 1934 but was shelved until George Pal got hold off it.
This 400footer is a nice souvenir.
It opens with a stunned world science conference as delegares hear the American member calm the end of the world is at hand.
He states that first the planet Zyra will pass so close as to cause
major natural catastropheis;nineteen days later the planet Bellus will crash headlong into the Earth.He is dismissed as a crackpot,but soon others eat their words as newspapers around the
world confirm that Zyra is, indeed,approaching.On the day,all hold their breath at one o'clock-nothing-and a greedy industrialist,who has poured millions of dollars into the escape plan,accuses them of decepition.
But Zyra is only one minute late,and passes with a vengeance-nice special effects here,as models and matte shots depict the upheaval caused,including a tidal wave thru New York.
The time for boarding the rocketship has come;as Bellus rushes towards the Earth.Leaving the greedy financier behind,the ship is lauched via its amazing ski jump platform-just as the worlds collide.All ends well,as the space travellers land on their new home,and the original biblical-type caption appears:"The first day on the new world had begun....
A fine 17 minute souvenir of 1950's sci-fi,and a oscar winner
too.The space ship may look a bit naive,it looks to me like the V1 and V2 rocket's,but don't let that put you off..This is great fun,and well worth tracking down.Recommend.Andy.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 06, 2006 03:31 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew
After reading your review it promted me to watch the film tonight "great stuff", the version I have is Marketing Films 3/400ft, running time about 51 min on a full 800ft reel the film is of polyester stock hence it fitting on the reel.
Even though the print is now over 20yrs old, the colour is still very good as is the sound, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Andrew thanks for your review and if you can track down the 3/400ft version I would highly recomend it.

Graham. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2006 07:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this film until that very last shot, the incredibly horrible, obvious matte painting. Besides that, it really is a great sci-fi film. I'd rather concentrate on getting the War of the Worlds faeature film. Good review though.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes;but the most disapointing part was no great original main titles.Andy.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2006 07:53 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
Another great review as always.
That always disappointed me with some of those Marketing Films mini features, they removed the original titles and replaced them with plain white lettering on a blue background. Still the editing was always great and they released some great titles. Regarding "The War Of The Worlds" I have found that most of the full length prints are fadeing but the 3X400ft prints are still good.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC