8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Brief Encounter, 1945

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brief Encounter, 1945
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brief Encounter , 1945
Walton Films
Black & White
80 mins, 1600ft

-

The classic 1945 film by David Lean, starring Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson. The story of a happily married British housewife Laura Jesson (Celia Johnson) who meets a married Doctor Alec Harvey (Trevor Howard) at a railway station tea room. They strike up a friendship, and agree to meet every Thursday afternoon at the station tea room, eventually falling deeply in love. Of course their relationship is doomed from the start as they are both torn with guilt, and both of them eventually realize they must break it off. But the yearning remains…
This is a terrific movie viewing experience, with superb acting by Johnson and Howard. Most of the film takes place at the railway station buffet, and several of the exterior scenes have that wonderful grimy wet look of post war British black and white movies. Throughout the film we hear the background piano playing of Rachmaninoff’s second piano concerto, impeccably played by Eileen Joyce and this perfectly captures the roller coaster of emotions that Laura is feeling as her married life starts to unravel. The ending is a real tear jerker as Laura resigns herself to settling back into her marriage with Fred. And you are left with the impression that Fred (beautifully played with great dignity by Cyril Raymond) suspects what has been going on, but loves his wife so much that he overlooks it. An excellent supporting cast with Stanley Holloway as his usual cheerful cocky self, playing the part of the Station Master, and Joyce Carey seen as the gossiping woman in charge of the refreshment bar.
The Walton super 8 print is quite good. There is some variation in quality between reels. Reels, 1, 2 and 4 are great on my print , with deep blacks and good focus. Reel 3 is disappointing, having washed out highlights and softer focus. Sound is good throughout. The S8 print is also very slightly trimmed by about 6 minutes, coming in at 80 mins, versus the 86 min original feature run time.
A great five handkerchief movie, and one of David Lean’s best films that all women love to watch, but which can be enjoyed and appreciated as well by men .

Content: A - Five Handkerchiefs (Full Size recommended)
Print : B+ Reel 1,2, and 4, - C: Reel 3
Sound B

[ January 30, 2008, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Another great review there Paul.Imust admit that when i was younger
i didnt like this film at all.A soppy old love story-no way.But now
its a british master piece of film making.Great performances from
Howard and Johnston.We british could compete with the big holywood
giants back then.It is a pity Walton trimmed it by six minutes.A great view there Paul anyway.Thanks.Andy.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was loaned this film today by a work colleague, on DVD. I watched it for the first time this evening and now I understand why it's such a classic.

Now I need to get it on film and watch it properly! [Smile]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC