8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE 3D!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE 3D!!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 16, 2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had always wanted to buy this 3D film and I finally had the chance, and even a good buy on a perfect unfaded print.

The film begins with the crashing of the spaceship, (right into your lap!)

Some people driving by, see the smoke coming from the crater. They investigate and while investigating, an avalanche
happens, (with some very unexpected boulders fallsing right at you!).

Next, a couple of guys out in the desert are abducted by the aliens, (with some nice point of view shots from the aliens P.O.V.)

The following day our hero (the name escapes me), and his lovely lady see some friends in town, (the two from the previous scene) who completely ignore them. He tracks them down to a dark room, where the friends waen him to stay away.

We cut to the girlfriend driving home. She is stopped by one of the friends and she is now abducted by the aliens.

We cut to the boyfriend who is now giving chase to find her. he heads back to where the mysterious goings on have happened and finds her. No, it's not her, and she proves so by trying to laserblast him to oblivion. he shoots and kills her and she is promptly dissolves into a pile of goo.

The townspeople, fed up by the disappearances of townspeople, go out to do some "vigilante justice" on the aliens, but the boyfriend go out there to try to rescue his lady from potential death. He confronts the aliens who never wanted to hurt anyone, (almost a first in 50's sci-fi), they were just protecting themselves while they made repairs to thier ship to get off our primitive planet. They threaten to destroy thier own ship, (as well as the planet in the bargain), but he convinces them that he'll hold off the mob.

He takes some dynamite and blows up the cave, sealing them in. They also release the humans they were holding as "hostages" and so the mob is happy. The ship then takes off in a blaze of glory as the humans watch it go.

We then follow this with some wonderful vintage credits, (you know, a shot of the actors and thier roles) and then the final Universal 8 credits.

3D effects : Most of them are fairly good, though some shots have a lot of 3D "bleed", while others are spot on. There are truly suprising 3D effects, as in rocks falling right into your lap, quite effective! Since this is a completely perfect KodakSP unfaded print, the effects are good to great.

Sound : In credibly crisp and booming mono sound. Not a bit of muffling to it. Quite Good.

Sharpness : Very passable. Not absolute best, but then these 3D prints have always been hard to focus. It is recommended that you either project this closer than you usually would to the screen, or have a very bright bulb, as these 3D prints, with the glasses, tend to be a little darker.

Contrast : Excellent, (thank God). Un iversal 8 did an excellent job on this print.

editing : Concerning the story and what they had to work with, it isn't a perfect cutdown, but with these older drama's, it can be hard to cut down, as they tend to move slower, not like todays films, but they did get all the plot down.

A very nice 3D film and well worth checking out!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2006 06:33 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that review Osi [Smile] .

I'm assuming you have the original Universal 8 digest print.

I understand Derann re-released this a few years back, though I don't know if they actually obtained the U-8 negative of the original digest, or is this a different digest all together?

Does anyone out there know if it's the same one?

Nick.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 17, 2006 09:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, I'm willing to bet that this is an original Universal 8 copy, but not because of the Universal 8 logo, as I think Derrann left those on there. No, it's printed on Kodak SP stock.

Now, my bet is that the Derrann prints are on L.L.P. stock, but someone else can verify that.

By the way, forgot to mention that the film, while not faded at all, (as the "Universal 8" credit has perfect blacks), is a nice sepia tone.

--------------------

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the original U8 release from 1978(?) and I've recently acquired the Derann version. I can tell you that Derann acquired U8's negative. Since the Derann print isn't faded, the effects have a little more "oomph" than the U8.

Remember, though...these 3D prints (including "Creature from the Black Lagoon") need red-green glasses, not red-cyan glasses, for full effect. A lot of people selling prints on EBay are just throwing in red-cyan glasses from 3D television airings and calling them "original". I watched the U8 "Outer Space" for years with red-cyan glasses and thought, "That's pretty crappy," but when I watched the same print with red-green glasses, it came alive.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 18, 2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that too. Brian Hendel, bless his heart (He's the fella I bought this print from), sent what looks like one of the original pairs, and I had two pairs of the slightly lighter red/green glasses from the recent "Spy Kids3D" movie, and the original glasses that came with it did the 3D much better justice to the film."

I really like this film as it was that wonderful bastard child of 50's sci-fi, the serious science fiction which is more about story than effects!

It fits in nicely with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", both have that cold war 50's comministic scare. The people you think you know, you may not really know. If someone is acting strange, is it really who you think you've always known?

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2006 06:25 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - I'm so glad you love the movie! [Smile]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2006 07:52 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Here's Bill Davisons review from the December 1978 issue of Movie Maker;

-

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 19, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, awesome review information on "It Came Form Outer Space", (and, in some instances a far better review). Those vintage reviews are quite a lot of fun.

This was also one of the first films that had aliens that really meant no harm to us, wgich would make "Close Encounters of the Third Kind rather famous, yet this was done back then.

This was one of the few serious 3D films back then, or, in my opinion, one of the few sci-fi films of the 50's that I can take serious today.

By the way, one of my favorite special effects in the film is the taking off of the ship. If I remember correctly, the actual setting was upside down, but photographed to look like it was right side up, to allow for that very interesting "spark-
-ing" before the ship takes off.

Another smart move in the making of this film was not allowing us to actually see much of the ship, as most 50's sci-fi ships look rather dated by todays standards. By not showing the ship, it allows for mystery. It only looks dated near the end (not the ship), with that almost "flash Gordon" looking laser cannon.

A very good film, all the way around.

--------------------

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2006 07:12 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this on the bay if anyone is interested:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/It-Came-From-Outer-Space-Super-8-8mm-Movie-Film-Reel_W0QQitemZ170060819140QQihZ007QQcategoryZ63821QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen this bidders name quite a bit on the bay,wondering if he's a member here.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It Came From Outer Space" 3D, 400ft, sound, Universal-8

Someone on Craigslist had this up for $15 and swore it was in mint condition, so I bit.
He was as good as his word. Mint print, correct 3-D color and original glasses.

-

THE FILM:

This 1953 tells of a group of aliens landing on earth to fix their ship. They are mistaken for invaders and only our hero and heroine get close enough to understand their intent.

The tale, by Ray Bradbury, is full of elements we know from elsewhere: the ship mistaken for a meteor, the take-over (here for temporary, peaceful purposes) of a few locals, and Richard Carlson and lovely Barbara Rush as the only voices of reason as things (inevitably) get ugly
The film could never be called a masterpiece, but was directed competently by Jack Arnold.

THE CUTDOWN:

Universal's editor plows right into the story, with the protagonists driving into the desert already discussing the events. After that, we get well-chosen individual scenes, rather than an attempt at a "new narrative" or intertitles and such. As the film plods a bit, the cutdown zips it along nicely.
We get opening titles and nice closing credits of actors and director. Good job.

THE PRINT:

Universal-8 should be proud here.
The print, from excellent source material, is clean with good contrast, fine grain, and, considering the 3-D needs, quite sharp.
Sound is dynamic with bottom and top, and recorded loudly and cleanly.

-

The colored 3-D is, as usual, a bit of a mixed bag. Certain scenes, like rocks falling, are quite effective, and some character shots have great depth, but at times color fringing does interfere. I am pretty certain that is just how the effect works originally, and not a shortcoming of the print.

After 17mins of this, I did have a bit of a headache, but it is undeniably fun to to watch in action. I could not contemplate watching the whole feature like this, however.

-

A nice cutdown of a semi-classic 50es Sci-fi title that originally was a bit slow. Recommended for the cut, the Super-8 image and sound quality, and the 3-D imagery.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they had released this as a standard black and white print as well, as I don't like 3D films. They always give me a headache and I hate having to wear stupid glasses to watch a movie.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact,they did. Both IT CAME... and CREATURE were originally released by Castle in one reel b&w versions (silent and sound) that included scenes not available in the two reel 3-D editions.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 06:48 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both 3D versions of "Creature" and "Outer Space." "Creature" is red but still has 3D effects, but I had to replace "Outer Space" with the new Derann version.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 08:14 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Panayotis,
you are right and I have both of the Castle 200ft versions, but it would have been nice if the 400ft versions had been released in decent versions that we could all watch without discomfort and the resultant headaches. Oh well, what a pity, never mind! [Frown]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know a place where we can get the old fashioned red and green 3D glasses, as I understand that these were the proper glasses for the full 3D effect from these 1950's 3D films.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 19, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Here's a link to some on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-pair-Anaglyph-3D-RED-GREEN-3-D-GLASSES-Movies-/370470158750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5641be019e

Pat

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 21, 2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanX! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC