8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Hoppity Goes To Town!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hoppity Goes To Town!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 10:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe!!

Thank you for that totally awesome info!! I LOVE learing something further about a beloved print!!!

You are right, the Red Fox print, while slightly better than the Derann and the original full length, does have some splice issues from the original source, (as well as some slight "white" lines the appear here and there from the original source material) ...

I always wondered why the Red Fox was so exquisitely SHARP and has such great contrast to the print. My question has been answered in spades. Once again, KUDO'S to Joe!!!

By the way, on the official Blu-ray release, at least on Gulliver, they did restore the original Paramount titles to the beginning, as I have that. (OK, I am assuming that it is an official release, as it is totally restored and a 720p download. Lovely to look at. Now .... to look forward to an official "Hoppity" Blu-ray)!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2014 03:22 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Gulliver's Travels" Blu-ray release is not a "official (Paramount Pictures) release". It was done independently from several prints; at least 2 35mm IB Technicolor Original Prints from a Re-Release were used as well as a AGFA 16mm Print. Its a composite. That is why there is such Richness of Color. It was also not "Digitally Tweaked" excessively. So, there are negligible faults in the picture which are only considered faults by those that cannot stand to see a scratch or dirt. The graininess of the prints used also was not tampered with excessively. It was a Labor of Love since it exists in far too many terrible video versions. It was funded by donations asked for online. If it was not in the Public Domain it would likely have never been done. It was done because Paramount has no inclination to do so. Many are fond of the two Fleischer Features, so if Paramount ever does Officially Release them I have no doubt they will sell many. I do not know if Paramount financed the UCLA Restorations, but I imagine they did contribute somewhat and that High Definition Masters were created. Finally, when "Gulliver's Travels" Eastmancolor prints were struck by NTA for Television, the Vibrant Reds from Technicolor were printed lighter (desaturated). It had more to do with the fact that Eastmancolor print stock was used. The same thing was done with Eastmancolor/Metrocolor prints of "Gone With The Wind" when it was Re-Released. The timing and saturation of entire reels was altered by MGM with the co-operation & supervision of David O. Selznick. Print stocks have improved greatly since then but even so, they are not the same as viewing a IB Technicolor print. Close perhaps, with careful lab work but the shadows and subtleties of the gradations of the Colors are not the same. Especially if one views a Nitrate IB Technicolor print.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 25, 2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring to the "Steve S." print that I hear has been released on Blu-ray? If so, I would love to get that, as I have the earlier release that he did which was taken from a very un-restored print, but was the original aspect ratio! (rounded edges of the original 35MM frame!)

Is that the one that you are speaking of Joe? Did he retain that original aspect ratio on his restoration?

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Thunderbean Blu-ray looks great, I've never seen Gulliver look that good.

I'm sad to admit however I find the film hard to sit through, it has moments, but only moments for me.

Someone joked when they heard about the forthcoming Thunderbean disk. "I'd only be interested if they were releasing a "Gabby Free" edition." I had to agree, Gabby is real migraine of a character. I'd like to see HOPPITY though, I never have.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2014 03:51 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm referring to the Thunderbean release. However, I do not own a copy of it and have not seen it. I do not own a Blu-Ray player. What I wrote I have read elsewhere. And I agree that Gabby at times is obnoxious but I still enjoy the film.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2014 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on Gabby as well, (though he DID get his own short lived series of cartoons apart from Gulliver) ...

... however, I personally think that "Hoppity" is a better film from the Fleischers, and only makes me wonder that if Paramount hadn't taken they're studio away illegally, (Max Fleischer didn't finally win his case in a court of law until the early 1970's), I wonder how much improved they're feature productions might have become!

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gulliver is defiantly not on a par with Disney in my book. The Fleisher's seem to have bitten off more than they could chew at times, there's a pretty big range in animation quality within the film itself. I also find the pacing pretty uneven too (the scene where Gulliver is tied up on the beach goes on for an eternity). Still, it's great that someone showed it some TLC.

For those with no Blu-ray player, the Thunderbean Blu-ray also contains a DVD of the restoration.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 01, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They ain't no Disney Timothy...that's for sure!

[ September 01, 2014, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 03, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" They ain't no Disney Timothy...that's for sure! "

True, but then the Fleischer studio had it's own charm and "urban" comedy and style, while Disney had that farmyard "west coast" style, and while Disney was the greatest at "technical" animation (to this day, in my opinion), The Fleischers films were far funnier and the humor tends to hold up better than in the Disney's.

I rarely watch any of the Disney shorts anymore, but I still regularly view the Fleischer "catalog". [Smile]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 17, 2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always loved it and always will. A wonderful memory from my childhood and with a message if you know the film. 10/10 for Hoppity!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2019 09:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Derann LPP print of this from CHC at the weekend and before the Derann logo it has "An Ivy Film\16 presentation" title card. There is no 8mm splice so I assume this was from the master used. The colour seems the same as in Kevin's print.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2019 02:51 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up a print of this film. On 2×800 ft reels. I see it starts off with the NTA logo! It looks pretty sharp with good color! I don't know who released the copy I have? Its not on the leader! But its very injoyable! A real crowd pleaser!

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2019 02:47 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film's original title is MR BUG GOES TO TOWN.In England it was renamed HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN,perhaps due to fear of aversion to bugs!,and sworn of a few minutes. So,copies deriving from American or British originals are titled accordingly.
Plus,it was Fleiscer and not Lantz who made the "Relativity" feature.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2019 10:33 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know how many features the Fleischer studio put out? And is it true that they were going to use Popeye for Gulliver's travels?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 03, 2019 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just two ...

Gullivers Travels
Hoppity Goes to Town.

"Hoppity" broke the bank for the Fleischer studios. In what turned out to be an illegal seizure of his studio, (he finally won his court case in the early 1970's), when Hoppity bombed at the theaters, Paramount stole the studio from out under Max and Dave Fleischers hands. The sad thing is that Hoppity is definitely a better film that Gulliver, but it had two things working against it ...

1. Paramount barely bothered to even market the film, not liking the original title "Mr Bug Goes to Town" ...

2. it had the unfortunate timing of being released the weekend of December 7th, 1941 ...

Peoples minds were immediately sidetracked, and sadly, "Bug" bombed.

It may not have the "craft' of a Disney feature at the time, but the subject matter certainly worked to the Fleischers strong points when it came to animation and story-telling.

The bluray still isn't out there yet but boy, I do look forward to it someday!

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2019 06:47 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With reference to the original title, the Derann released trailer (on a rel with The Reluctant Dragon) has the film titled Mr Bug Goes to Town.

Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2019 07:36 AM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still looking for that particular Derann trailer reel. Have the Mr. Bug section only but the beginning is a little clipped.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2019 08:13 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was released by Ivy Films in New York originally on super 8.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2019 09:00 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this film was released by Ivy films! I have a print by Ivy and red fox films! But I see that the Ivy print is sharper than the red fox print! The red fox print has a little more color to it! A every injoyable film!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 10, 2019 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of Ironic that the trailer on L.P.P. film stock, that I happen to have, actually has more vibrant color than the features, both of which are on L.P.P. and Agfa respecitvely.

--------------------

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2019 04:04 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OSI, who released this excellent trailer you have ?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2019 11:22 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have the distributor, but it might well be Derann, it really is stunning. I'll look at the titles and see if it says "Hoppity" or "Mr Bug" Goes to town.

--------------------

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2019 12:28 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be on the lookout! It would be nice to splice on to the feature!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2019 12:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a youtube video of that very trailer, (not my copy, but thats it). The color reproduction isn't entirely accurate, but it's close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOxYRMC2e4

--------------------

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 04:42 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice trailer OSI, its sharp with nice color! A must have!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC