8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Storm of the Sentinels (Matrix : Revolutions extract)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Storm of the Sentinels (Matrix : Revolutions extract)
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2007 01:29 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hungry for some new scope material, I decided to give the latest Matrix extract a try. Although I did see this at the cinema when it was released, I still don't follow all of the details that well. But, like the Freeway Frenzy extract, its really all about the action and special effects with these Matrix sequels, so understanding whats going on is not all that important.

"Storm of the Sentinels"
released by Derann. 600 foot (about 25 minutes)

This extract takes place in the underground city of Zion, where humans must battle machines. The battle consists of a few dozen humans operating large metal, armed suits (like walking tanks), against thousands of sentinals (like robotic squids). That pretty much sums up the story of this extract. The battle is pretty much played from start to finish.

Things I liked-

The special effects are excellent. The sentinals are very impressive to look at, especially when they are shown in great detail, maticulously ripping open metal doors to get to the humans.

We get to see more of Jada Pinckett's "Niobe", wich happens to be my favorite character in this movie (don't look for Neo or Trinity, they are absent from this extract).

The digest has a start and finish, so it is self contained.

Things I did'nt like-

One thing about Matrix:Revolutions that I don't like, is that the movie itself is visually dark and murky (like Alien 3). So, quite naturally, this extract is going to be- dark and murky. Not that the quality of the super 8 print is bad at all. In fact, Derann did a good job of printing it. There was never a time when I could'nt see what was happening on the screen. But there's no vibrant colors popping out of the screen. The creators of this movie were aiming for a certain atmosphere to the movie (dark, hopeless) and I think they have achived it.

Overall, this seems to be an odd choice to release in super 8 scope. There is little color and not much to look at as far as scenery (remeber, it takes place underground). Of the three Matrix movies, the original one is the best, and ironically, the only one Derann has not released any excerp from.

In my opinion, brighter outdoor scenes have always worked excellent on super 8 scope, with so much detail across the wide screen.

In closing, I can say I would recommend this extract to any die-hard fan of the Matrix trilogy, or to anyone who likes interesting battles between man vs. machine, with lots of CGI. But its not for everyone. I recommend watching the DVD first, watch the scene, and decide for yourself.

By the way- the stereo sound is fantastic!

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 05:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
A great review there James.Well done,you my have cost me another £70.00.This hobby is expensive.No matter i still prefare this format to any other.Andy.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC