8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » QUO VADIS-18mins.1x400ft.super8.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QUO VADIS-18mins.1x400ft.super8.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well here's my view on one of those old M.G.M two reelers.
After the title sequence,were in the Rome of 64A.D.There is a truly great scene as over 5,000 extras welcome home Marcus Vinicius(Robert Taylor)and his victorious fourteeh legion home.
He rushes into the arms of his true love,Lydia(Deborah Kerr),little realising that their love and happiness is soon to be threatened by
the vain and mad Nero(Peter Ustinov),a brillant performance from him.
Nero wishes to establish his immortality by building a new city called ...Neropolis!.
To do this,he must of course destroy Rome,and soon the whole city
is ablaze;this is truly spectacular stuff as Marcus saves Lydia,from the inferno.But the populace hold Nero responsible for
the destruction and in an attempt to save his own neck,Nero passes the blame onto that foul sect-the Christians.All is set for the gruesome area scenes,which even today are still barbaric.
We witness the halpless Christians being fed to the lions....
Nero soon pays with his life,Lydia and Marcus smile happily and a heavenly choir rings out over the end title!.
This two reeler is well edited,i wish the editor who done those old M.G.M,cut downs,would have done the Fox and Aip's as well.
My print still has strong colour,excellent sound,and fair definition.It has a slight orange tint to it.This is still well worth seeking out.It is Ustinov's film,even in this cut down,he's off his rocker.Excellent entertainment.Andy.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 19, 2007 03:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy,

Why you call this as two reeler while you are talking 1 x 400"?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert.Aone reeler is200ft,a two reeler is400ft etc.Every 60meters is one reel of film.Andy.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 19, 2007 11:08 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Back in the silent film days, films started out being one reelers (10-12 minutes long). In 1910, D.W. Griffith shocked the industry by coming out with a two reeler!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review Andrew.

I have the 3 x 400 foot version of Quo Vadis. It is fantastic.

Most of you long time collectors have seen the Ben Hur 3 x 400 foot digest and know how excellent it is in terms of editing and quality. I would almost bet that whoever put the Ben Hur digest together is responsible for this one as well.

It is so amazing how both of these 3 x 400 foot digests are able to relate the story and capture the essence of the whole movie in less that one hour.

For all collectors, if you like the Ben Hur 3 x 400 foot digest, then I can't recommend this one strongly enough. It is superb!

Nick.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great colour in this one eh?Just goes to show,if you are going to keep animals you have to feed them! [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC