8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Engine Driver (1947)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Engine Driver (1947)
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 21, 2007 11:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are those of us in the Small Gauge Cinema Universe (…and a small “universe” it is!), who are also crazy about trains. There are others who are not. “The Engine Driver” (1947, 1x200’, B&W) is one of those films that bridges the gap and will likely please everyone.

This is not one of those “…and this represents an early application of Walshaerts valve gear to an engine of this wheel arrangement” kind of productions that are meant solely for people… well…like me, but rather a brief sweep of action, music and skillful cinematography that will reach out and grab people’s attention and maybe wake them up a little. It was produced by Pathe as an educational film, probably meant to keep a generation of British schoolchildren (…especially the boys) happy during recess on rainy days. The story is simple, the images are compelling and before you are ready, it is over.

We meet our Hero leaving his London flat in the morning to walk over to the sheds and take the throttle of a steam powered LMS passenger express to Manchester. He and his fireman oil around, test the brakes and then take the engine down to the station to couple onto their train. The camera seems to be mounted on the drive rods at times and moves up and down with the motion of the drive wheels. Up until now, the soundtrack has been a combination of ambient sounds and the familiar song “Puffin’ Billy”, but now it gets serious and the music goes away.

This is high speed rail ala 1947. Rather than a rush of air and the hum of electric motors, steam moves the train through the scenes with a frenzy of moving machinery and a roar of exhaust. The camera is used very effectively to convey the train blazing up the line. Shots are done right next to the drive wheels with the rods moving so fast they are almost invisible. Shots at trackside are often taken very close and the train seems to burst past. Interior shots of the train show the passengers comfortably oblivious to the great speed they are traveling.

Soon enough, we slow down and glide past a cathedral’s spire into the station in Manchester. Our driver steps down from the footplate to enjoy some hot tea as “Puffin' Billy” rises to its final notes, and why not? He’s put on quite a show for our benefit.

All of this is in wonderful black and white with a great sound track. Earlier prints are on black and white stock, and later ones on color. Derann printed this until just a few years ago from excellent source material, and they are pretty commonly available as used prints. This is one of those films that had it been produced originally in color, it might have lost some of its magic. The atmosphere and the stock go hand in hand.

This is also one of those films that goes up exponentially in impact with the size of the screen. On a good sized movie screen the size, energy and speed of the train seem to fill the room, however I suspect if it was ever shown on a TV screen it would be no more impressive than the average beer commercial!

http://www.britishpathe.com/thumbnails.php? id=87745&searchword=london%20manchester%20driver&searchword=london%20manchester%20driver

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on, Steve.
This little gem always goes down well with the various groups for whom I have provided shows. On one occasion after the screening, an elderly lady approached me and told me she recognised the houses at the beginning because she had lived nearby at one time.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 21, 2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
Thank's for that nice review. I have a print of this film, mine being on color stock, and the sharpness and black and white contrast is exceptional. As you and Mal say, a really great little film, and a real eye opener to todays kids (particularly here in the USA) who have never travelled by train, never mind about a steam train!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good review dude!

Though I'm not a big fan of trains, I do have one film in particular. "The General" (Buster Keaton), which is the best "train" film I have ever seen, as well as the best "vintage" train in action.

but then again, that's just my opinion.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 23, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Thanks for your review it prompted me to watch it the other night, its been a while since I last screened it. I landed up watching a couple more "Night Mail" and "Ride Of The 480", a NZ National Film Unit film. One film thats very popular out here is "A Train For Christmas" The Kingston Flyer made in the early 70s another NFU film.

Derann have been selling a 200ft version for a while now, I have been lucky to have 16mm print which runs for about 28 minutes, its an interesting film in the sense that its not just about a train but the people and community that it serves, have you seen it?

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 23, 2007 05:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

"A Train for Christmas" is still on my "to get" list, so I'm glad to see you recommend it!

Oddly enough, I was inspired by my own review enough to watch "The Engine Driver" myself last night. (You would think I'd watch it first!). We also watched both of Derann's Romney Hythe and Dymchurch films. They are perfect with my 4 year old in the room, since the trains look like they're from "Thomas the Tank Engine" and he also likes seeing Laurel and Hardy. (...which he learned to enjoy courtesy of our friends at Blackhawk!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC