8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Close Encounters of the Third Kind (400ft. C/S) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (400ft. C/S)
Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2014 04:30 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard that Spielberg himself cut this 400' digest, that would account for the inserts of the people staring, as is Spielbergs style of interiorising the spectators emotions.
Yep I have the digest, and the clouds are poor. My version is in the card box, but I wonder if the digest that came in the poly plastic box is better/worse, different stock etc?

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia Studios broke Derek's contract after a Columbia representative noticed that there was second hand 16mm Columbia titles in a bin, in the shop that were unlicensed products for sales. Derek was forced then to cease all production on CE3K.

Ten collectors secured the only prints prior to this debacle with Derann.

I have an LPP 400' CE3K digest in the cardboard packaging and it's not for sale.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ...

That's neat to hear that there were LPP 400ft copies of that digest. I have seen decent color prints of the digest that are close but not perfect color. I bet that digest looks great!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of the digest is on Agfa. The colors are unfaded, but with the a typical warm 70's look.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was a trailer for the close encounters special edition, i recently sold this on e bay and it did fetch very good money, i used this to buy more films on the recent Paul foster, indi 8 and perry lists, the quality was outstanding and it ran for just under two minutes.

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2015 09:55 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm relieved that this digest doesn't have the narration that so many Columbia/Ken releases had.I've wondered if the studios had anything to do with it being added.
Douglas

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 22, 2015 04:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happened was that Columbia did indeed tell Derann to stop selling 16mm films or they would remove all the 8mm rights.

A very similar thing happened with me,(as I've mentioned before on Texas chainsaw threads), I was looking for the full 5 x400ft feature of TCSM and a company in Scotland had one. They informed me before making the purchase that the sound was very very low.
Innocently, I wrote to Iver films, the distributor, simply to ask that if I made the purchase could I get them to re-record it. Jeepers did I get that Scottish film library into trouble [Frown]
The full feature was never released for retail sale only rental.
Had DVDs been around in those days, (around 1979-80) I wouldnt have even asked.
The old saying, loose lips sinks ships! Its that easy to cause a problem and all very innocent with good intentions.

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have mine. I bought it new wayyyy back in the day.
I don't know if the color shifted or not. I no longer have a Super 8 projector (but am thinking about getting one, again).
That being said, I really don't have much use for my print, if anyone wants to buy it.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 24, 2015 06:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PM sent [Wink]
Sorry Dave, were you talking about CETC or TCSM?

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2015 05:59 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Close Encounters.....I know it's somewhere in a box, due to moving several times since the 70s, LOL.
I'll find it and let you know.
I really would like to view it once more just to get an idea of the color loss and general condition. If memory serves, there are no splices or lines.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 25, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, there was also an Italian release of the full feature of CE3K, but it was flat and not scope. I saw one sell a year or two ago on ebay.

--------------------

Daniel Tollick
Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Daniel Tollick   Email Daniel Tollick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen two 400ft copies around one in a cars box and one in the plastic clam shell box which is the best and who released them both.

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2017 03:26 PM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up a clamshell version of this off eBay for $8. I think it's LPP? Or very very low fade. Was really impressed with the quality of the print. Not so much with the digest itself.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 19, 2017 01:31 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i understand it, columbia were not happy as derann announced the scope feature release before the deal was sealed and also copies were sold prior to columbia agreeing a date. Something along those lines anyway. Derann announced a couple of other releases in one of there catalouges including a 600ft version of the thunderbirds. These deals were also taken away due to the premeture announcements. Barry at indi 8 may be able to be more precise on this.
Regarding CEOTTK, this was one of my all time favourite films but i have to say i was very dissapointed in the 400 cut down. I kept it for around 5 years and promtly sold it on. I could never afford or find the scope feature and nor would i pay a grand or two for it,(or any film for that matter).
Osi's review here is first class but i just thought this title needed to be at least 600ft.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 01:42 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the 400 footer and watched it once then sold it,was a bit disappointed with the editing on it,would have possibly been a bit better as a 600 release just to get a better idea of the story line,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 19, 2017 06:27 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats right Mark, i thought the 400ft digest was nothing more than a souvenir print, it was obvious that Mr Spielberg didn't want too many of the classic shots of the mother ship in there. Being 4:3 only this was limited, the shot of the mother rising over the mountain is one that comes to mind.It works for some collectors but it didn't work for me. A shame really as it was , as said, one of my favorite films.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with some 400 footers they either work or they don't story wise,if your a fan of a certain film as in this case with Tom then you probably know the story well(my Dad used to say he's seen it so many times he's in it)so realise what's missing that could have improved the cut down,I'd say back in the day it was about selling titles and getting them out as quick as possible,some are great edits and are really repeatable but not this one,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 21, 2017 11:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia super 8 certainly missed out on a golden opportunity to have a very good selling scope or Cineavision 400ft digest, to be sure.

What is so odd is that Animex/Cineavision DID release the extra long (about 5 or 6 minutes) trailer for CE3K, so, either thry had access or permission from Columbia, (as they're releases were official releases from the parent company with permission) ...

or ...

That trailer was released without permission? At any rate, a rare and nest trialer to have, though it was printed on fadey eastman and so buyer beware, but i have seen some unfaded copies show up now and then. [Smile]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2017 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually haven't done one of these reviews in quite awhile (good Ole Tom and have taking up my "slack" [Smile] ), but I thought that with my latest aquisition in my collection, this bear doing.

This is, of course, the classic 1978 Speilberg films, released during the "heyday" of the UFO interest, (for those who don't know, the world was crazy with thought of UFO's), and Speilberg released this very gentle science fiction film with a very different plot twist to the whole "aliens visit earth" genre ...

The aliens are friendly ...

Which speilberg would later build on with his classic film "ET".

Speilberg untilized ghis favorite actor of choice at the time (Richard Dreyfuss), to play an everyday man who has more than one experience with UFO's and is nearly driven out of his mind to pursue the truth for ...

"The Truth is Our There"

... He gets images of a certain place in his mind which he must go to, in shaving cream (no kidding) as well as mashed potato's ect. In his journey, he is joined by a young woman (Melinda Dillon), who's son has been abducted by UFO's (in one of the films great sequences), and they meet in another of the films many great special effects sequences, (on a deserted highway). They team together and eventually arrive at they're "dream" destination, Devils Tower Wyoming, where the governmant has been planning secretly to have a "rendevous" with the aliens and end up also sending an earthling or two to other worlds aboard the alien mothership.

Watching this film yet again today it really hasn't aged at all, story-wise or dramatic effect. The special effecst still awe from beginning to end, nor do they show they're age. In an age where STAR WARS was becoming the benchmark illustration for what a science fiction film should be, Speilberg showed a more deicate and beautiful way to the stars.

Now, the print review ...

I bid on this digest, which I had previously owned years before (not this epecifc one), as i was floored by the absolutely unfaded print that was offered in auction. The colors are as pristien as they were upon being printed. I must say that most of the digests of this film are either starting to fade or are badly faded and I was overjoyed to find this one AND, at a very reasonable price for it's condition!

... and there is a reason for that.

It's on AGFA 2S film stock! I always thought this only came out on fadey eastman film stock, but I'm happy to say that i have been proved wrong. Either this was just a print run of this digest that happily made it onto Agfa during the original print run OR it is a re-print, (perhaps by Columbia itself) at a later time on Agfa. it was certainly one of thier best selling digest titles.

The edit of this digest is masterful, (someone far better than I could verify this, but from what i understand, Speilberg himself was involved with the edit of this digest), as it encapsulates the complete film is a very nice 18 or so minute digest. Though this is on a 400ft reel, it IS longer than most 400ft digests of it's day. I also like how, at the beginning, it has Columbia Pictures best (in my opinion) logo at the beginning. A very nice touch for the digest. Also, i am MOST THANKFUL that this digest was released earlier on, when there wasn't an irritating person nararating the digest for you. I mean, heck, if you're buying the digest you already know what is going to happen or be seen, you don't need a bloody nararator!

The mono magnetic sound is booming, a very loud but not distorted sound quality that was very enjoyable. As to sharpness, focus, it is actually sharper than I remember this digest roginally being. Either that, or my eyes are better know, (I doubt that!)

Please note that the screenshots for this digest that I have included, are from the ebay auction but ARE from this print, but I apologize for the "glare" in the shots, but they most certainly prove that yes, there ARE great digests of this print out there.

I thank you for you're time and, of course ...

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!!! [Smile]

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ October 25, 2017, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC